Straightening

Andrew's POV

By the time Friday rolled around, I was physically and mentally exhausted - well the most I could be having not slept or eaten very well.

Who knew someone could be utterly destroyed in just a week?

I trudged down the thin corridors of my high school earlier than usual, back arched and shoulders sunken. Although I was getting more and more fed up with this week, yesterday was my tipping point. I was slipping from the thin balance beam, and I was probably going to plummet to my death if anything like that was ever pulled again. If either my mother or Lola died, or God both, I think I wouldn't be able to survive for much longer. The thought of them never being in my life was a little hard, but as I unlocked my locker after eventually getting to it, I tried to shake it off.

It was surpringly easy because before I could grab my Psychology book and a few folders, a body was banging against the neighboring lockers. "What the fu -"

"Andrew, buddy, bro, dude, my man. How's it goin'?" My scowl felt permanent around Zachary Rogers, as he was always being annoying; but I couldn't help but be slightly curious. I always was when he called me by my first name, the syllables oddly sweet sounding from his lips.

"Why are you so happy?" Rogers shrugged, throwing his hands up with the motion.

"Maybe because I just found the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!" I blinked at his stupidity, slamming my locker shut. He was making it hard for me to be nice around him, yet my curiosity was getting the best of me.

"I call bullshit. Now tell me what's really up so you can go be happy somewhere else."

Rogers chortled like I was the funniest comedian he'd ever seen. It triggered my eye rolling habit. He mumbled something about me being a party pooper, but I did what any sane person would: ignored his idiotic comment.

When the imbecile was finally done with his laughing fit, he began talking to me like I was his best friend. "Well, it started out with the funniest thing this morning." He went to put his arm around me, but I shot him a glare full of pointed arrows aimed straight for him before turning to start walking to class. He followed, I noticed, his eyes still latched onto me. I glared back at him, finally catching the darkened circles under his eyes. I looked away, but kept my eyes hard on the people in front of me.

"And well, the darndest -"

"- Really? Darndest?"

"- thing happened. I found out that you here, Andrew Parsley, were going to be losing your position as Captain!" I stopped in my tracks, letting my eyes rake over every inch of Zachary Rogers' face. He had that arrogant smirk on, although it wasn't as blinding as it usually was, and he was giving me this sort of funny look.

"Where the fuck did you hear that from?" I growled.

He batted his eye lashes, bringing a finger up to tap his chin in mocking thought. "Well... I heard it from Rodriguez, who heard it from Ashton, that was told by Joslin Soroyen, that had heard it from Corbett, who was messing around with Donalds by coach's office when they heard him talking to Mr. Johannes about you!" He sounded so incredibly stupid, like a girl gossiping on one of those 90s teenage high school movies.

It was rediculous, but part of me was starting to believe the asshole next to me.

And to think, I was just starting to warm up to the guy.

Some things must come to an end eventually.

"Yeah right, Rogers. Coach basically told me last night that I was keeping my position on the team. Take your crap and get out of here."