Chapter Eight

Arriving at the Lyon Mansion feels different today. Today I wasn't entering the gates as a servant but as a guest and I was so far from ready for what the night might hold. All day while I got primed and ready for tonight I kept asking myself why would Drew invite me as his guest? What was so special about me that I couldn't serve like the rest of the staff?

Yeah, we had a connection that afternoon in his music room but what warm-blooded girl wouldn't feel something when a guy like Drew played them a love song on a piano? He probably pulled that stunt with every pretty face he got a chance to be around.

I wasn't special.

Drew probably saw me as nothing more than a challenge since I was the first girl who didn't drool all over him.

That's why I need to end things before they get too far. I know if we have more moments together I'd really be screwed, so it was better if I walked away now. Our worlds don't mix and there was no point trying to pretend like they ever would.

"Good evening Ms. Mia, you look beautiful." Tyler, the security guard at the gate tells me. Now that I know him he isn't as intimidating as I initially thought, but I still would never want to get on his bad side.

"Thank you." I smile bashfully. It felt weird wearing something that wasn't my usual sweats and hoodie or my uniform. Tonight I wore a low V light pink sequin dress. It was a dress I bought but never had an excuse to wear until now.

"Go right in." He buzzes me through and steps out the way so I can walk on ahead. "Enjoy your night."

From the outside it still looked the same but loud hip-hop music was heard coming from the inside. Guest lingered by the front door, all of them who looked unreal and liked they belonged on the cover of a magazine.

Some of them probably were.

These are the kind of people he was friends with. Everyone here is a movie star, actress, model, or a singer like him and then there was me.

His maid.

I'm so out of my element.

The guest by the front door don't pay attention to me thankfully and with a deep breath I walk into the house.

The place is packed. People swarm inside the house, dancing, laughing, or just standing around talking. The music is louder in here. I can feel the vibration from the speakers radiating through the room. Colorful strobe lights flashes on the makeshift dance floor and there's confetti falling like clockwork. It's all so extravagant for a house party but I guess when you're Drew Lyons it's go hard or go home.

I search the room, hoping to find a familiar face and smile when my eyes land on Cade. He's dressed a little bit more formal than usual. Instead of the collared white shirt he's dressed in a long-sleeve button down shirt with a skinny black tie. Our eyes lock and I wave before making my way towards him.

"Hey." He's carrying a tray full of what looks like crab puffs.

"Hey yourself." He replies back with a smile that doesn't match his tone.

Something is off.

"What's with the tone?" I ask, arching a brow at him.

"Nothing." He shakes his head, but I can tell he's lying.

"Cade come on, it's me. What's up?"

"I thought you were different." He begins and pauses when someone approaches him for a crab puff.

"What are you talking about?"

"Why aren't you serving like the rest of us?" He asked, accusation laced his tone.