9 || free

"What's going on?" you asked, looking over to Glenn.

"I don't know, but I don't like it," he answered, worry in his dark eyes.

"We should go find the others," you suggested.

He licked his lips. "Yeah."

So you both started running.

"Rick!" you yelled. You spotted them at the same time Glenn did.

"Did you guys kill the lights?" he asked.

"Nah, it just went out," Shane answered, looking at the fuel tank connected to the generator.

"Anything?" Rick asked.

"Yeah, dead generators," you answered, walking toward them now. "And empty fuel drums."

You sighed. You didn't like what was going on and you wanted out of the basement and out of the CDC. You wanted out.

"It can't be down to just that one," Shane said in disbelief.

Rick gave him a look that said, 'you better believe it, buddy'. And you didn't like that look.

"Hey, um," you started. "Maybe we should get outta Dodge? Just a suggestion?"

Shane shot you a look that told you to shut up, and you crossed your arms over your chest. You hated it when people told you to shut up.

"I get it, serious matter, no jokes. But it's a serious suggestion," you said, looking over to Glenn. He nodded.

"We need to ask Jenner what's going on," Rick said, almost ignoring your suggestion. You didn't mind. His suggestion might have been step one. Yours was step two.

"C'mon," Rick said suddenly, running out of the room, up the stairs. Everyone followed. You had to get out.

"Rick?" Lori called. He put his hand up.

"Jenner, what's happening?" he asked.

"The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power," Jenner answered. "It's designed to keep the computers running until the last possible second. That started as we approached the half hour mark. Right on schedule."

He took a drink of the bottle of alcohol in his hand. He was getting drunk and you didn't wanna know why. Daryl stole the bottle from him.

You looked at Glenn. He nodded and grabbed your hand. Smiled a tight smile. Worried. Scared, maybe. Not ready for whatever was happening. The both of you.

"It was the French," Jenner said.

"What?" Andrea asked.

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know," he answered. "They stayed in the labs until the end."

You wished you were in France. Maybe they had the cure.

"What happened at the end?" you asked meekly, not sure if you wanted to know the answer.

"Same that's happening here," he answered. "No power grid. Running out of juice. The world runs on fossil fuel. How stupid is that?"

"Lemme tell you somethin'," Shane said, ready to kill him that second.

"Shut up, Shane, I don't even care," Rick said. Uh-oh. Sassy Sheriff Grimes. "Lori, grab our things. Get your stuff. We're leaving."

You started to run down the hall to grab the small black messenger bag with practically nothing in it-- the only thing you owned.

Suddenly, alarms blared and the room flashed with red lights.

"What's that?" Shane asked.

You started freaking out and ran to get your bag and back quickly. "We gotta get out!"