14 || bells

After walking through the woods for so so long, bells rang. Church bells. The sound felt so odd to you. But everyone had the same idea that Sofia might just be ringing the bells. So you all ran in that direction.

"Where are the freaking bells?" you panted.

"There's no steeple, Rick," Shane said exasperatedly.

"Sofia!" you yelled, cupping your hands around your mouth. You took in a sharp breath to do so again, but Daryl Dixon decided to yank your hands away from your face by your wrist.

"Every walker in the woods is gonna hear you," he hissed. Glenn stepped closer to you and shot a look at him. Daryl looked like he wanted to say something.

"We're goin' inside," Rick interrupted before Daryl could say what he wanted. You stepped around Daryl and Glenn, falling in line with Rick as he opened the church doors. There were three walkers. You waltzed in and quickly took one down. Once that was done, the other two were already dead.

You looked around the church and-- you guessed it-- no sign of Sofia anywhere. The bells still rang and everyone ran to the source.

A box thingy on the wall outside. Glenn was inspecting it when you got out there.

"It's on a timer," he said sadly. You looked at the beaten grass beneath your feet and clenched your jaw. She wasn't here, either.

"We can wait here," you offered. "Maybe... maybe she heard the bells, too."

Carol nodded gratefully, as tears rolled down her cheeks. She went inside the church.

You curled your arms around yourself. This was wrong and sad and you felt so broken. You cared about this so much for no reason. You hadn't known the girl for a week but you cried in the dark hours of night because you couldn't save Caroline. You felt pathetic.

Glenn started talking. "Listen... I know I'm just some guy that found you in a building-"

"Saved my life," you corrected.

He shook his head. "No. That was all you. Anyway, you told me about what happened to your sister. I don't know why, but you did. So I... I know that... I guess I'm saying that if you wanna talk... Okay, just, I know that this probably reminds you of her, that's all."

You looked up at him. His mouth was a straight line and his hair fell messily over his forehead under his hat.

"I'm fine," you assured him. He looked doubtful.

"But you don't have to be," he replied.

"And you don't have to care about me," you said. "You got me out of Atlanta, so thanks. But you... You don't have to worry about me."

"But I do," he answered.

"Why?" you questioned. He looked away and shrugged.

"Just do," he said. You looked down at your boots.

"I'm gonna go," you said, walking into the church before he could say anything else. He was too nice. He cared too much. And somehow, it made you a little upset because you were just some idiot dying in a building who had to have feelings for the guy that saved you and it's cliché. You didn't think you deserved to be saved. You didn't think you deserved to have Glenn in your life and that hurt.

You sat down in the back pew of the church. Carol was praying in the front. You bowed your head.

"Take care of Sofia," you whispered. "And Carol. And Glenn. And me. And-- just everyone, please. Let something good happen. Thanks."

You opened your eyes and saw that Carol was also done praying. You stood up and walked outside, the sun beating down on the back of your neck. You walked up to Rick.

"Where to next?" you asked quietly. He sighed.

"Me and Shane were thinkin' of splittin' up and goin' back to the woods," he said. "Two groups."

You furrowed your eyebrows. "Who's with who?"

"Workin' on th-"

"Hey, (Y/N), can I borrow Rick for a second?" Shane asked. You nodded and they walked off. You stood awkwardly on the porch of the church. More people came out until everyone was outside.

Rick came up next to you on the porch, followed by Shane.

"Alright, everybody," Rick said. "We're gonna split up and go in groups."

Shane started. "All of y'all are goin', and me and Rick in the opposite direction."

"Well that doesn't seem quite even," you interrupted. "I'll go with you. You might need back-up."

Shane chuckled. "I think we can handle ourselves."

You raised your eyebrows. "Oh, really? You won't be saying that when there are a dozen walkers after you, nipping at those muscles you think are gonna protect you."

He scrunched up his face. "You listen here-"

"Shane," Rick warned. "Maybe she could help. You saw how she handled the walkers in there."

Shane reluctantly agreed.

"I wanna go with you guys too!" Carl said. You smiled at him.

Rick nodded a little. "Okay. Here's what we're doin'."