12 || good times

hello my lovely people! <3 I thought I needed to take a little space before the chapter to talk about some things. 1: I'm so so so sorry for this long-awaited update. my internet went out after I published the last chapter and there was nothing I could do about it. 2: this story has OVER 500 READS. THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU ALL. okay. on with the chapter.

-

When Rick got back, he announced that Sofia was officially missing. Carol cried even harder than before.

"My baby got left in the woods," she whimpered. You could see in her eyes that she blamed Rick, and you knew it wasn't fair of her, but you would've done the same if it was Caroline.

Rick had suggested that a search party was issued in the morning. It was too dark to do anything, anyway.

You, Glenn, Dale, T-Dog, and Andrea went to the rv to try to sleep. T-Dog was significantly injured and he fell asleep immediately. Dale decided to sit on top of the rv after an hour of being unable to sleep. Andrea stared out the window, silent tears rolling down her face. She looked like she was falling asleep. You and Glenn sat in the floor quietly.

You felt like you were falling; like everything was going wrong. You knew that Sofia was probably dead. You tried not to think about it, but it pounded around in your brain and beat your hope into the ground.

You looked over at Glenn, who seemed to be deep in thought.

"Glenn?" you whispered.

He snapped back into reality. "Yeah?"

You bit your lip, not knowing what to say. You just wanted to talk about anything to get Sofia's disappearance off your mind. You curled your knees to your chest and rested your head on them.

"Tell me something happy," you said finally, and he grinned slightly.

"Well, the bright side of life right now is..." he paused in thought. "We're still breathing."

You half-smiled. "Anything happier?"

He almost laughed. Almost. "You're smiling a little bit."

"Just a little," you replied, trying not to smile bigger because it seemed disrespectful to the current situation.

"Now you tell me something happy," he whispered. "I bet you can think of something."

You thought for a few seconds and smiled a little. "If we come across a bookstore, I don't have to pay for them anymore."

He laughed. "Priorities."

You nodded. "Yes. Priorities."

He smiled at you. You saw hope on the horizon. It was coming.

"I think Sofia's gonna be okay. I think she's still alive," he said, his shoulder pressing into yours and providing warmth. He was looking out the window. You tried to see the stars.

"I hope so..." you replied, looking over at him. He looked like he really believed it. You'd known him for such a short time, and yet you felt close to him, like you'd been friends for years. You guessed that it was a side effect of living in the world nowadays. You'd been through so much together already. He felt like someone you could trust. Everyone here did.

You curled your arms around yourself. You tried to remember the good times; the times before this. That was when you realized that the past wasn't where the good times were. They were here. The world wasn't over. It was just a little different.

Your eyelids felt heavy after you came to that conclusion, and you leaned against Glenn and shut them. Everything was going to be okay.

Glenn convinced you of that.