16 || just like that

You sat on the porch as the sun set over the horizon. Everything was plummeting. Shane and Otis had went out for supplies, and they needed to be back soon or Carl was going to actually die. Surgery was risky, even if they did have everything they needed. And get this, Hershel was a doctor... for animals.

Footsteps creaked by the house's door. You looked over your shoulder. It was Maggie.

"Hey," she said quietly. You nodded at her.

"Hi," you greeted, voice breaking as you spoke.

"You okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine," you said, faking a smile. "Thanks."

"You really don't seem fine," she replied, perching herself on the railing.

You smiled. "I suppose nobody's really fine nowadays, are we?"

She laughed. "That's a bit cynical, don't you think?"

"Really? I'm known to be an optimist," you said, grinning at her.

She smiled, a little sadly now. "I think Carl's gonna be okay."

You nodded. "Glenn does, too."

She raised an eyebrow. "I haven't seen you two talk since he got here."

"I just... know he does," you answered. "He's the real optimist."

She nodded. "He strikes me as that. How long have you two been together?"

You smiled fondly. "I've been with the group since Atlanta. He, uh, he saved me."

"No," she said. "I meant, like, together together."

"Oh!" you shook your head vigorously. "We're not-"

"Really? Sorry about that, then," she said, laughing at herself.

The door opened again. Glenn peeked his head out the door.

"Hey! (Y/N)," he smiled, coming out onto the porch. He looked at the railing. "And... Maggie. Hi."

"Hi," she said happily. "We were just talking about you."

"All good things," you added.

"Well, now you've got me curious," he said. He sat across from you in another chair.

"How's Carl?" you asked.

"He's doing good, I think," Glenn said. "Not quite sure."

"And that's my cue to go check." Maggie smiled, standing up. "It's been nice talking to you."

And with that, she was gone. You looked over at Glenn. He looked nice-- not in an ordinary way. He looked like... summer days and ice cream; nice things you couldn't enjoy or have anymore.

He turned his head and smiled at you. You smiled back without a second thought.

"You know... you look happy," he said quietly. "Despite the current events."

You laughed a little bit.

"Stay that way," he told you. "Stay happy. Just like that."

You looked up at him. "I don't know how I'm supposed to do that."

He reached his hand out to yours. You took it. He held it to his lips and kissed your hand gently. You smiled so hard your blushing face hurt.

"Just like that," he said.

---
This is a short, mini-chapter for you guys because I needed to say THANK YOU FOR 1K. I am so happy right now I can't explain it. You guys got me here. Thank you so much. Much love.