21 || you're both adorable

You woke up early the next morning, stretching awkwardly as you sat up. You yawned and rubbed your eyes. The end of the world never changed your hate for mornings.

You put on your boots, tying the laces quickly.

"Hey," Glenn said quietly and croakily, yawning. You looked over your shoulder and smiled.

"Hi," you said. He smiled back at you. His hair was messy and he propped himself up on his elbows.

"Well," you said. "I've gotta go. Don't jump down any wells while I'm gone."

"Where are you going?" he asked, running a hand through his hair.

"I'm gonna look for Sofia," you answered.

"I think Daryl said he was going, too," Glenn said. "Maybe you can search together or something."

You shrugged your shoulders. "I don't know. We'd cover more ground if we split up."

"But what if you get hurt?" he asked, sitting up now.

"I'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Um, you could die, (Y/N)," he said, grabbing your hand. "Just say you'll stay close to Daryl, just in case."

"Okay, fine," you promised. You poked your head out of the tent, then back in.

"One more thing," you said, wrapping your arms around his neck and hugging him. He laughed.

"Alright, go find Sofia," he said.

"And you stay away from wells, I mean it," you said, pointing a finger at him. He laughed as you left.

~

You and Daryl approached the woods. He was on a horse, but you stayed on foot.

"Stay close. If you get in trouble-"

"We've been over it," Daryl said, cutting you off.

"Okay. Just making sure," you replied, smiling a little.

And with that, Daryl trotted off on a horse and you walked into the forest.

The forest was nice. Trees surrounded you and spots of sunlight blazed on your back. Leaves were starting to fall, and you let them crunch under your feet.

"Sofia!" you yelled. A walker growled behind you.

You whipped around quickly, stabbing it in the head. It collapsed to the ground.

You yelled again. "Sofia!"

No answer this time. You sighed.

Maybe Rick and Shane were right. Maybe Sofia was dead. Maybe she was a walker. You shook those thoughts out of your head. You couldn't think that way. If this were Caroline, you wouldn't want anyone to stop looking for her.

"Sofia!" you yelled again, walking deeper into the forest.

You yelled for Sofia for hours until your throat burned.

She wasn't out here.

You looked at the sky, seeing the sun between the leaves. It was around noon, and time to head back.

You sighed. You turned back the way you came, and the crunching leaves sounded like your heart crumbling.

You couldn't find her. You couldn't save her. Somehow, it felt like if you could save Sofia's life, it would make up for the loss of Caroline. You knew it would still hurt, but it felt like Caroline could forgive you if you could save someone else. You still felt like it was your fault that Caroline died.

You jumped over a log and out of the woods to see Daryl stumbling out, mouth and neck covered in blood. He was wearing an ear necklace. He looked insane.

"Daryl, are you okay?" you asked.

He looked up a little at you as Rick and a few others ran at him and started yelling to Andrea. A gunshot sounded and Daryl fell to the ground.

"What the actual heck Andrea?" you screeched. "You just shot Daryl, you absolute walnut!"

You ran over to him. He opened his eyes.

"Oh my God!" you yelled, stumbling back.

"It just grazed my ear," he said, grabbing it. Blood came off on his fingers.

"Great, if we have to amputate we can add it to your necklace," you mumbled.

Rick and Shane got Daryl on his feet and helped him back to the farmhouse. Apparently, he lodged an arrow into himself.

And yet, he didn't call for help. So much for 'we've been over it'.

You walked back to your little camp, looking for Glenn. He was with Dale. They were talking.

"(Y/N)!" Glenn waved you over.

"What is it?" you asked quietly as you reached them. "Are we gonna tell him?"

"Tell me what, exactly? Glenn has been making sure I don't move for the past ten minutes," Dale said exasperatedly.

"So, Dale, you're old- uh, you know things, I mean," Glenn started.

"We have a few secrets," you continued, sounding more like a question than a statement.

"Just stuff we might need to tell-"

"Well, what is it?" Dale asked.

"There are walkers in the barn," Glenn said.

"And Lori may or may not be pregnant currently right now," you finished awkwardly.

Dale looked like he was going to keel over. "Only you two..."

He shook his head. "You should probably tell the rest of the camp."

"I'm honestly just very concerned for Hershel's wellbeing right now. I mean, why is he doing this?" you ranted frantically. "Like, does he lock people in there? Like it's a dungeon?"

"You should ask him yourselves," Dale said, giving stern looks to the two of you.

"Um, what if he gets mad and locks us in the dungeon?" you asked. Glenn smiled a little as he stifled a laugh.

Dale looked at you like he wanted to kill you.

"Well, I guess we're going!" you said to Dale, grabbing hold of Glenn's hand. "See ya!"

Glenn smiled at you as you walked to the farmhouse, interlocked hands swinging.

"What is it?" you asked him.

"What's what?" he responded.

"That look on your face. It's all smiley and adorable," you said.

"Oh, so I'm adorable now?" he asked, eyes lighting up.

Your heart was beating out of your chest. "Of course."

His face was surprised. "Really?"

"Very much so," you replied, smiling.

"Not me." he shook his head. "You are, though."

You laughed. "Funny."

"I mean it," he said, a look of pure adoration on his face.

"Okay, fine. We're both adorable, then," you said with finality.

"Deal," he smiled happily.