Chapter Five

Following Gui Sen's lead, a smaller delegate from Xi Rei travelled south-wards for an hour to reach the Third Princess's official resident.

When they finally arrived, with what the eye could tell, it was evident that the Third Princess was doted on by her father. Her home was a mansion and its grandeur design was on par with the Imperial Palace. Guarding the main door on either side were two giant carved lions* from white jade, as well as ten fine soldiers on the lookout.

Feng Ming dismounted from his carriage, his eye glued to the amazing details of his Aunty's home. Suddenly a strange feeling welled inside him, but he didn't know what the cause was. 

Gui Sen continued his role as the tour guide, "Prince An He, this is the Third Princess's residence. The Old King spoils her most out of his three daughters, she was granted special permission to select any land she wished to establish her home and she personally oversaw its construction. This place she has chosen has mountains for neighbours and overlooks a lake. The main house and the pavilions were designed with consideration to preservation the natural surroundings. The innovations that has gone into building this estate has been the topic of much praise. The Third Princess is a talented woman and it is unfortunate An Xun met an untimely demise, sadly leaving behind an unmatched beauty to drift alone."

Gui Sen's casual introduction actually broke into an impromptu recital of a very lengthy poem.*

Feng Ming stood completely clueless about construction and architecture. He didn't understand Gui Sen's words either. It was best he followed Rong Tian's principle, if he didn't understand something he had to feign that he did, so he nodded his head little by little, giving the man a rather idiotic smile to show his admiration. Whilst inside, Feng Ming was thinking:

How could you be happy that the Third is the most cherished!  You better watch out, or else the throne would be passed to the widow, then you'd all be crying over spilt milk!

By now every member of the party was ready. Gui Sen did a bit of primping by straightening his outfit before ushering the visitors towards the front gate.

Before they could even make a step through the door, to their surprised the guards barricaded the entrance, stopping them in their stride.

"Your Highness, do not proceed, the Third Princess has given orders that she will be declining any guests today. She is currently occupied and wishes that your Highness entertain Prince An He, she will meet with the Prince at a later date."

Gui Sen blanked in a moment of surprise, "Yesterday, I had already announced to the Third Princess about the meeting today. The Prince if Xi Rei is now before her doorsteps, how can she alter our appointment so casually?"

The guards were in a difficult situation, they offered their apologies with submissive salutations before commenting, "Your Highness, please do not take offense. An extremely important guest suddenly arrived this morning and her Highness couldn't decline their company."

To have the door slammed in their faces first thing in the morning made it obvious that the Third Princess was giving them the cold shoulder. The party could only look at each other in dismay.

General Tong was fired up by the disrespect, "If the Third Princess has her hands tied with entertaining important guests, then what of our Prince who has travelled over a thousand miles? Is he just a lowly visitor?"

Lie Er was part of the entourage for the day and his role was to wait on Feng Ming. Upon hearing General Tong's outburst, the servant laughed to lighten the mood. "General Tong, there's no need to set off your fuse, it's no great hindrance, let's have King Gui Sen, entertain us for the day."