Chapter Fourteen

Just as they had moved closer to Yong Yin territory, news of Fan Jia's King death due to illness reached them.

Everyone who was aware of the situation could only marvel at Official Xia's incredible foresight.

Once the Third Princess was informed, she fell into deep sorrow and wept for her loss. Inside her carriage her tears flowed out. Her misery extinguished her energy. In the Prince's quarters, Feng Ming attempted on many occasions to escape from Rong Tian's clutches and after much difficulty he finally slipped out to console the Princess.  

"Please royal Aunt, you are going to overexert yourself. The King had been sick for a length of time, this...this..." the words were caught in his throat, finding it hard to carry on the topic when the Princess's face was stained with tears. 

Feng Ming was unable to give her any advice. In all honestly, his time with the late King was short and the man had left no real impression. Secondly, it was obvious to all that the King's death was sudden and worthy of suspicion. However, he and Third Princess understood this moment was not the appropriate time to instigate investigations.  

Regardless of what era or dimension there are always conspiracies and treacherous schemes being brewed and carried forth. It is a sad fact of human nature.

Feng Ming spent a long time comforting the grief stricken woman. Whilst he sat beside her, he could not help but to think about his own situation. What would happen if he did not have Rong Tian? How many times would he have been devoured by his enemies?

The thoughts gave him an unappetizing gut feeling, he released a heavy sigh.  

His Aunty continued to weep in bouts of soft sobs, seeing Feng Ming had accompanied her for the worst part she finally decided to pack away her emotions.

She wiped away her tears and finally broke her silence, "Father has departed and my tears are worthless. When I think of my absence beside my father when his life expired, I feel burdened that I have failed my filial duties. Being born in royalty has numerous challenges. There are times when one will be helpless. These tears of mine are inadequate."

She heaved, changing the subject.

"Oh! My dear Prince, you must take care of yourself. Hearsay in days past you had a cold and was confined to your carriage."

Feng Ming's face burned before he dipped his face down and murmured, "Yes, indeed. An He shall wear enough clothing to avoid catching a cold again."

Inside the Prince cursed the Regent King who was avaricious, insatiable and above all, his vigor knew no boundary.

He remained for a short time to offer more words of support before finally slipping out of the Princess's carriage.

As soon as he made his exit, he was greeted by General Tong and Official Xia.

"In two more hours we shall cross the official borders into Yong Yin. A grand feast and entertainment has been arranged to welcome Prince's arrival." 

"That's great progress! We will finally leave Fan Jia's territory."

The Prince recalled how generous Master Zhang had been when he held a reception for the envoy.

He swallowed before nervously raising a matter with Official Xia, "Official Xia, if Master Zhang approaches me to be his drinking buddy you must intercept him! I don't want to end up with another Lie Er."

"Another Lie Er in your possession wouldn't be a bad thing right? Prince will feel less lonely along this journey."  

General Tong laughed heartedly at Feng Ming's expense and he lowered his voice, speaking with a serious tone.