Chapter Seven

Forced into the tiger's den, Feng Ming armed himself with courage and stepped with his best foot forwards to bite the bullet.

Upon entering the building and making his way into the inner chambers he was welcomed by warmth, the air inside was laced with a distinct smoky scent. It was the smell of aromatic incense. Feng Ming felt like he was visiting a Buddhist temple, the air was thick but the smell was rather pleasant. Listening carefully, Feng Ming caught the sound of a water flow hidden in his surroundings. It created a serene and calm atmosphere. He continued his way until he finally reached the inner sanctum.

His eyes rested on three individuals, sitting casually in the main room. An attractive woman sat in between two men, she was wearing a deep plum coloured dress, the design of her outfit was long and graceful. The cuffs of her sleeves were decorated by extremely detailed trims and patterns. Her cheeks were naturally a shade of peach blush and her eyes were as sharp and bright as lacquer.

There was no doubt in Feng Ming's mind that she was the Third Princess, she was really living up to her rumoured beauty.  He was used to seeing pretty girls on television, none the less he had his fair share at admiring beauties from all over the world. However, she was a rare specimen in this ancient world; he nodded slightly in appreciation but didn't feel embarrassed about his eyes lingering on her.

The Princess's personal attendants were standing to the side of the room, Fen Yan stood near her master. All of them were observing Feng Ming secretly and they were bewildered by the Prince's calm composure and the fact that he didn't intend to intrude.   

Official Xia was right on the money, the two men accompanying his Aunt were indeed the King Li, Ruo Yan and the math genius Master Dong. 

The trio sat around a sand pit, purposely installed for etching their discussions and calculations. Master Dong appeared quite brutish, grizzly and unkempt. The man had a big upturned pompous nose. Feng Ming never would have guessed the man was a genius if he had passed him on the streets.

The old man was holding a bamboo pole in his hand, and was occupied with drawing and discussing his work. The Third Princess was completely caught by the lecture, her head bobbed as she processed the information.

Looking at Rou Yan, Feng Ming figured the King was in his twenties, appearing mature Feng Ming guessed he was perhaps around twenty seven or eight. His appearance was nothing special, and at his waist was a very modest looking sword. If it wasn't for Lie Er's and Official Xia's warnings, Feng Ming wouldn't have felt Ruo Yan was much of a threat. To be honest, he really couldn't see how the man was anything to be reckoned with.

The Prince continued to monitor the proceedings of the party he wasn't really invited to, he didn't want to ruin the happy atmosphere. He guessed that the moment he opened his mouth and interrupted the exchange of knowledge he would be immediately escorted out for his impertinence. It was cold outside and having to brace the chilly winter wind again wasn't on his menu.

Knowing better, he resigned and chose to quietly wait in the sidelines. He found a seat and settled himself down.  From his location, he sat listening in and playing the role of the obedient and respectful youngster.

Master's Dong's voice was very light and everything that left his mouth was professional jargon. Feng Ming barely even understood half the sentences that the man spoke. The prince basically continued to rot away in the shadows for almost an hour. Boredom was one of his worst enemies and this was a cruel. He cursed inwardly, his suffered in silence. Thinking to himself, he should have marched right in and announced himself to the Princess to save his current brain punishing wait. But no, he wanted to look generous and caring, by not crashing the class only god knows how long he would have to wait until he gains an audience with his Aunt.