Chapter Six

Joss-sticks/incense sticks – burnt as offerings to the dead and the gods, additionally, due to the nature in which they burn slowly, they are often used as a 'timer'. The modern incense took around 45 min to burn up.

Anointment – cleansing oneself for sanctification, in this case Feng Ming felt the need to be transformed for the occasion.

Mistake clarification: I'm not sure why I've been writing Ruo Yan as a country from which Lie Er is suspected as a spy, it's永殷 Yong Yan. I'll make those corrections in the future...XD!

----

Gui Sen nearly tore apart the dainty curtains as he self-righteously made his entrance.

Feng Ming promptly caught up to the man's side, however before he disappeared under the shade, he paused and turned his head back to issuing a glance directed at the cunning maid, that girl sure had given them a performance worthy of an applause. 

In her wildest calculations, she hadn't anticipated the Prince to shadow along Gui Sen's intrusion, as their eyes met Feng Ming gave her a mischievous grin. Wasting no more time he signaled the small envoy to cross with him into the grounds of the Princess's halls.

Beyond the curtains, Feng Ming and Gui Sen were now standing in the middle of grand courtyard, and straight in the group's path was an extravagant building. Official Xia cleared his throat to loudly herald the arrival of their Prince, "An He Crowned Prince of Xi Rei, has arrived to pay a visit to His Royal Aunt. With our greatest sympathize for the Your Highness's recent loss."

In a subservient manner Xia told his master "Official Xia and the rest will await your Highness outside." Less than a blink of an eye, the old man quietly extricated through the parted doorway. The two men and the reminder of the Prince's entourage then proceeded through a small door leading to the main household.  

No one responded to their announcement, but there was definitely voices streaming from a room nearby.

"Ah!" Gui Sen sounded genuinely surprised, recognizing one of the speakers. His eyes widened, as his mind registered the voice to the face of the notoriously powerful King of Li.

The King of Li's voice was silvery and modulated, with a deep undertone. It had no trouble travelling to the visitor's ears from afar.

Lie Er couldn't contain himself, his face planted with a big smile of delight as he tried to figure out what exactly was taking place from the direction of the voices.

Almost seconds later Gui Sen's complexion waned, his eyes had a murderous glow of red it was obvious that the man was suppressing his anger from boiling over. He glanced over at Feng Ming who stood silently, saying nothing the older man left unexcused in a hurry.

Feng Ming was perplexed by the man's departure, so he shrugged defeated in his attempt to make an audience with his aunt. Deciding to take his company out of the area and await further instructions back at the main courtyard.

By now Official Xia had gathered hints and made his deduction, "It appears one of the guests the Princess is paying audience to is the King of Li." 

His master nodded, and asked, "How did you draw that conclusion?"

"The Third Princess, a connoisseur of mathematics and world famous for her obsession and innate talents in the matter. Being widowed recently, the only one that could engage her Highness with such fascination is most likely, the great master of arithmetic from the Country of Li, Dong Fang Tian."

"Why did you mention the King of Li?"

"Prince, don't forget, there are two guests, if the Princess deems one to be a very important guest, than the other present and could only make Gui Sen retreat silently with his tail between his legs is no doubt, the King of Li."