Chapter Five - The Breakup

Basil POV

It had been a long few weeks in the closet. As much as I hated to admit it, I kind of liked sitting in the dark room listening in to the daily ongoings of Bryce and Aaron. And of course Stiles, but recently there hadn't been much talk of her. Aaron and Bryce would leave the room I was in if they wanted to speak privately. I didn't care too much about that, if someone was trapped in my closet, I wouldn't want that fear either.

Bryce had grown distant, after the earlier topic a few weeks back about his multiple personalities. He stayed clear of the room I was in, and left Aaron to himself. Sometimes I'd hear Bryce in the middle of the night at parties with the rest of his crew. He'd stumble back drunk, whisper words to Aaron and then part ways to his room.

Out of all the closets to get stuck in, I was appreciative it was Aaron's. Aaron actually cared for my well-being somewhat. He always found some way to slip a granola bar or something under the door so I didn't starve. Sometimes Honey Bunches of Oats in a small, plastic bag to munch on during the day. He'd hand me water in a small bag too, so I didn't die of dehydration.

He did this because he cared. Or at least, because he didn't want a dead body in his closet.

"Yeah we're through Stiles... I like someone else." I heard Aaron speak from the other side of the door. There was a long pause before an audible sigh was heard and Aaron spoke up again. "You know I just don't think it was going to last long anyways."

He sounded more bitter but still heartbroken over this. Mostly all I could think about though was- who was this other person he liked? And why did he like them so much that he broke up with his girl friend? Do people do that? "I'm sorry" He whispered before, I'm assuming, hanging up. He clicked the phone off.

I didn't know what to say or if I should say anything at this point. What do you say? 'Hey bud, I was spying in on your conversation and I heard you and Stiles broke up, why's that?' That's more creepy than me living in their closet to be honest.

I think I heard crying but even if I did... What could I have possibly said. 'Hey wimp, why you crying!?' Like that's not how life works. I mean hey maybe it does. Afterall Aaron did just break up with his girlfriend.... Over the phone.... Seems kinda like a douchebag move if you ask me but I'm the one who got stuck in a closet.

"I wouldn't worry." I began softly. I'm not too good on these subjects myself. "You're a good guy, I'm pretty sure you'd deserve someone better."

I failed to mention that Stiles was a complete psychopath but I felt it would be too touchy of a subject right now. Aaron needed to let it sink in and get over Stiles naturally. Only time would tell at this rate. He'd heal. I think.

He was quiet for a while, not even crying by this point. I kinda thought he killed himself for a second if I'm honest but I didn't really believe myself. He took a deep sigh before thinking up a response.

"You..." He took another pause before laughing a little out of awkwardness. "You heard that huh?"

"Perks of being stuck in here I guess." I let out a sigh. "Sorry for invading your privacy...I...I didn't--"

"It's fine, really." Aaron choked out. He still sounded like he was crying to me but it's not like I could see him all that well.

There are perks and disadvantages to being stuck in this closet. I like Aaron and Bryce but I never really get to be there for them and right now... Aaron seemed like he could use someone actually there. Not just some guy stuck in his closet trying to be supportive in any way I could be.

"Listen--" I started, watching my words carefully. I may be an asshole sometimes, but I know what a breakup feels like. And it hurts. Especially for the guy doing it. "Stiles was...not the best person. You'll find someone else. Plenty of fish in the sea."

"But what if no one else likes me?" He laughed right after he said that. Not really a serious laugh like being funny but a sad laugh. "Wow I sound like a really dramatic teenage girl now." He sounded like he was recovering but not nearly as much as I wish he would.

I don't like hearing him hurt for some reason. Doesn't really feel right. He's always this like happy go lucky guy who you'd never catch with a frown most of the time but now he's really just messed up. He needed someone to be there for him. Someone who wasn't Bryce, cause let's be honest... Bryce isn't quite helpful in these types of situations.

"I--I like you!" Basil blurted out. Shoot I'm so stupid, why did I say that? "I mean--I--sorry... uhmm..?" I was at a loss for words. I felt hot, embarrassed even. But I had no idea as to why. Probably my stupid choice of wording. I didn't mean it like that, did I?

"Uh... Wh- what?" Aaron stuttered.

I probably just ruined our friendship. I probably just ruined my one and only chance to actually be with this guy that I stupidly thought I had the chances with. He probably hates me more than ever. I'm just some prick, sitting in this guy's closet. I haven't bothered trying to get out in days because of how much I like being in here and I'm just forcing him to deal with me.

He's probably thinking of all the new ways to get me out of this closet even if it means destroying the whole building, changing his name to Tyler and fleeing the country to just never see me again.

I was silent for a minute. My face was flushing red. At least, if Aaron could see me he'd probably remark about it. "I--I guess I like you?" I was confused too. Heck, I didn't even know what this boy looked like. I only knew him from his footsteps and kind, soft voice. "Sorry if this is super weird--I just made things worse."

"I-" Was literally all he said.

I what!? He was leaving me hanging and I was feeling all the more awkward about it. I didn't know what to do at this point. I mean I already dedicated to this whole liking thing that it'd be weird if I tried to pull it back and was like 'Haha it was just a prank bro! Gatchuuu'

"I don't.... know" Aaron kind of whispered. I didn't know if he was talking to himself for if he was trying to work things out but I didn't feel good about it either way.

"Sorry, not too good with this sort of thing." I mentioned again, twirling my thumbs around and looking down, the closet's darkness looming around me. "Just forget what I said. I'll leave you alone." You know if i could get up and leave, I would.

Aaron was silent for a long while and I almost thought that he wasn't going to reply but I heard the chair make a squeak and him clear his throat.

"I uh.. I'm going to go to the store.." I felt like that was his excuse for any awkward situation he didn't want to be in because that guy goes to the store a lot.

"Just promise me you won't do anything stupid over this." I replied solemnly. "Come back safely for me, yeah?"

That sounded so cheesy I almost threw up a little in my mouth. All this garbage was making me sick. But something about this situation made me have to say that I wanted to see him back safely. He'd get over it sure, but I...guess I cared for him? In a friend anyways. I mean, if I liked liked him that would be gay and I'm not gay.

I think.

"Uh.. Yeah." Aaron mumbled, quickly leaving the apartment to me, myself and I. I was kind of started to feel welcomed around here but I think I may have just ruined that.

So I was left alone in the darkness of the closet, as complete silence fell across the room. As I was left alone with my thoughts. Without even a Bryce to keep me company this time.