Chapter 14

"Wherever we travel to, the wonderful people we meet become our family." Lailah Gifty Akita, Think Great: Be Great!

---- 

Chapter Fourteen

Cassian spent the next three weeks travelling through northern England, visiting and inspecting all of his factories, and ensuring that his workers were all in good health and spirits after the installation of the wheels.

He discussed business with each of his factory controllers right into December, ensuring that production was going to be efficient, of good quality, and financially prosperous come the New Year. Cassian's factories were some of the biggest employers across the north, so it was vitally important to hundreds of families that he maintained a successful operation.

The business talks were a welcome distraction. Cassian did not have a moment to think about anything or anyone back in London while he was away.

That was a lie.

Cassian thought about Faith all the time. Every time he turned around and saw a woman with a thick, brown braid of hair, he thought it was her. He kept hearing her voice across rooms and he had himself convinced on several occasions that Faith had followed him up to Yorkshire to reconcile.

But, of course, she had not.

Cassian and Faith were not meant to be. Faith had made that very clear.

Cassian only wished he did not miss her as much as he did. Every day, while discussing distribution plans, or machinery improvements, he found himself thinking about what he would be doing were he at home.

Cassian would have been with Lucy for starters. They would have been reading, or playing make believe, or Lucy would have been happy entertaining herself while Cassian worked. Having Lucy in his study made for a happy work space. Spending time with Lucy was like a reward. If he finished his correspondence then he got to sip pretend tea. He never could have imagined that he would enjoy sipping air but he did.

And then sometime in the afternoon, Faith would bring Cassian and Lucy luncheon, and she would join in on their games. Cassian never liked her to clean around him. He preferred to help her dust and wipe down the surfaces afterward. That precious, fleeting time felt almost like what a family would.

Cassian liked to think that at some point while his father had been alive that he, Cassian's mother, and Cassian all played together similarly.

By mid-December, the snow had begun to stick on the ground, and the weather was extremely cold. Cassian knew that if he delayed returning to London any more then he and Mr Green would be stuck in the middle of nowhere for Christmas. While Cassian did not have any desire to celebrate the season, he would not have Mr Green away from his family purely because Cassian was in a foul mood.

Their journey took them south, and the trek was more arduous thanks to the slippery road. It was late on December twentieth when Cassian's carriage pulled into the little village of Norwood, a picturesque town not a mile from Derbyshire's famous peaks. The sun was setting as Mr Green halted their carriage outside of a blacksmith.

"We ought to rest the horses, sir," called Mr Green to Cassian. "I shall talk to the smithy, see about some new shoes and a stable."

Cassian climbed out of the carriage and came to stand at the front. He placed a hand on the back of one of his horses. The poor beast was awfully sweaty, even though the air was icy. "Yes," he agreed. He handed Mr Green some money and turned to look about the long main street of Norwood.