Chapter 25

"Every child makes its peace with abandonment. That's called growing up." Gregory Maguire, Out of Oz

----  

Chapter Twenty – Five

Faith scrambled off of Cassian's bed, before the door opened and Ruth entered proudly. Even at this late time of night, she was dressed finely, albeit in a black ensemble. Where on earth had she found mourning clothes at such short notice. Did she carry them in hopeful patience?

Faith gasped. Mourning clothes. George was dead. Faith exhaled. She felt as though she was letting go of a breath she had been holding for the last six years.

Six years of marriage. She had been wed to the barbarian for more than a quarter of her life. It was six years that she could never get back, but Faith now had the opportunity to live. And she needed to for her son.

She could not help but smile as she imagined taking off her wedding band and replacing it with one that she wanted to wear.

"Ruth," Faith greeted bluntly.

"That is Countess to you, Anne," retorted Ruth.

Faith could care less. If Ruth was so desperate for the title, she now had it. Faith hoped she enjoyed it. Ruth was a more vicious person than Faith, in the way that she was willing to step on whomever she needed to in order to get where she wanted to.

Faith knew little of Ruth's background. She wondered if that had anything to do with her attitude. Faith, on the other hand, had been born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

"You should know that I am now called Faith," Faith corrected. "I have left the person I was in my past, as I will do you and that family." The minute she spoke the words, Faith's mind went to Olivia.

Olivia was now Lady Olivia Pendleton, the daughter of an earl, and with all the privileges that Lucy might have had. She was also at the mercy of her mother, who did not seem to understand her daughter. But Olivia had the sort of fire that could not be extinguished by one's mother. Olivia was going to change the world; she had told Faith so herself. Faith believed her whole-heartedly. Ruth could not stop Olivia if she tried.

In turning her back on the Pendletons, she was turning her back on Olivia. But Faith knew she had the strength to survive that house, and to go out and do the things she wanted to. Faith had managed it, and Olivia had twice her gumption.

"I thought I would deliver the sad news to you in person, Anne," Ruth began, disregarding Faith's new name. "George passed away a few hours ago, succumbing to his wound inflicted by your sinful lover."

"I am devastated," replied Faith dryly.

"I can see." Ruth pursed her lips, before looking to Cassian, who was attempting to crane his neck to look at their visitor, as he still could not lift his torso. "Well? What do you have to say for yourself?" she demanded to know.

Faith knew that Cassian understood he was blameless for George's death. She could tell that he had understood Finn's explanation earlier. George could have easily ended the duel after the first shot. Both had risked their lives. But George had been the one to insist on continuing. That decision had cost him his life, and it had nearly killed Cassian, too.

"You are a countess now. You are most welcome," was all he said in reply.

But Faith had not been expecting that. Shamefully, a giggle escaped her lips. She clapped a hand over her mouth.

Ruth ignored Cassian's comment. "The Pendleton family are in mourning," she snapped. "You are required to dress as a widow should. A veil, of course, must be worn at the funeral. I do not believe your lie about your child for a second. George was convinced by the gossip, and so am I, considering its source was your original accomplice. However, the Earl and I are unwilling to attach ourselves to a child whose mother claims she is illegitimate. If that is how you wish to treat your child then so be it."