Chapter 27

"Many lives are wasted by just waiting for something good to come from the horizon instead of going to the horizon and finding something good over there!" Mehmet Muran ildan

----   

Chapter Twenty – Seven

Faith had been the mistress of Norwood Cottage for near a fortnight since Cassian had left for London. It felt very odd to be in charge of a household that she had once worked for, but then, as Hattie kept reminding her, she was never much of a servant. No housemaid needed to dust a study for as long as she did. It was always clear that Faith and Cassian were meant to be more than servant and master.

The sheer size of Norwood Cottage made the name truly ridiculous. It was not a cottage, but a castle, only without a moat and towers. The enormity of the building made it quite impossible for Cassian's once small staff to keep it in order, and so more servants were sought from the village.

Faith had left that job for Mr Wade. She had not yet ventured into the village. She had not dared to. Not even the quiet little village of Norwood was exempt from the city newspapers. Her story had flown across the country, and surely each and every one of these people knew her dirty little secrets too.

Would they accept her? Faith was not game enough to ask, not while she was still unmarried. Faith knew that she had broken about half a dozen society rules with how she and Cassian had conducted themselves. To an outsider, it would be scandalous. But only they knew the truth.

Faith supposed she was just as wary of another's opinion of her as they next person. Cassian was so determined that Norwood would be the fresh start that they needed. He was so excited for Faith to stretch her legs and get out into the community. Faith was nervous.

So, instead she had busied herself with making this big house her home. By comparison, her home in Leicestershire with George was bigger, but it had always felt like a prison. This house felt so full of opportunity. Lucy would grow up here. Kit, God willing, would grow up here. Any future child she might be blessed with would grow up here.

Faith often found herself wandering into Lucy's new bedroom, which Cassian, or rather Mr Wade, had had filled with gorgeous toys. This would be the bedroom where Faith would one day tuck her into bed for the last time, on the night before her wedding.

Faith had never before had thoughts like these. Her focus had always been on the present. Where would their next meal come from? What would happen if Mrs Berwick could not watch Lucy and she could not work? Faith had never before entertained thoughts of the future because it felt taboo. Things could always go wrong.

Things could still go dreadfully wrong, but Faith had reason to hope.

Shortly after Cassian had departed for London, Faith had taken the bulbs he had collected for her, and a pail of water, and had gone for a walk about the garden. Faith could not comprehend the gratefulness she felt to Cassian for this simple gesture.

Whether or not it would feel the same as before, she did not know, but Faith currently felt as though she had a piece of her son's resting place, and a way to make a place for him in her new home.

The grounds of the Norwood estate were extensive and glorious. They most definitely were well tended to. There was not a lake, as there was on George's estate, but there was a pond deep into the garden, protected by pussy willow trees. The furry catkins were in full bloom, and it looked as though there were small snow balls on the branches.

The pond was shallow and still, and she could hear the noises of the creatures who resided there. It was a very peaceful and natural place. It was the perfect spot. Faith knelt down at the base of the tree nearest to the pond and placed the pail of water and the bulbs aside as she began to shift the grass and dirt with her hands.