Chapter 28

"If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. " J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

----

Chapter Twenty – Eight

Kit had never before witnessed such a scene than he had on the day of his parents' wedding.

Parents. That word still seemed foreign to him. Taboo even. It was almost as if he feared waking up from the dream that was now his life.

Kit, the orphan boy from London, had a mother, and a father, a sister, a surname, and a home.

But Kit was certain that he would always remember the crowd of well-wishers that had gathered outside the church to witness the nuptials and to bless the happy couple. Cassian had stopped in the village to organise the ceremony with the vicar and the news had obviously spread.

Faith had been a bit of a recluse apparently, hiding away in the house, avoiding the villagers for fear of judgement. Her story was on the front page of every newspaper and on the lips of every gossip, after all, but these people did not seem to mind. Dozens of people waved and cheered as the carriage drove the family to the church, and the smile that spread across Faith's face was like sunshine.

The only smile bigger than Faith's was Cassian's. He was staring at his bride to be with absolute adoration. It had always been obvious, but Kit could see that Cassian truly loved Faith. He wanted everything for her, and Kit knew that his concern extended to himself and to Lucy. Kit knew he was very privileged to have Cassian as a father.

The wedding was beautiful and the happy couple honeymooned at Finn's estate, situated a mile or so from Norwood Cottage.

It was all over in ten days, at which point Kit found himself sitting in a carriage bound for Leicestershire. Gone was Faith's blissfully happy demeanour. Cassian was no longer smiling. Even Lucy seemed on edge, as though she sensed something was wrong.

Faith looked very anxious. She gazed out the window but her hands were shaking nervously. Cassian placed his hand over hers in an attempt to calm her.

Kit had not been entirely informed as to what Faith had experienced during her first marriage. The newspapers did tell and extraordinary tale, and Kit had not felt it right to ask his new mother about her past, especially if he was uncomfortable doing so.

But they were journeying back to what was once Faith's home, in order for Faith to renounce some sort of right. Kit was not exactly sure. The legal terms went over his head a bit.

Kit did not like that Faith was feeling this way. She was too kind and too loving to be feeling anxious. He wanted to comfort her, but he feared saying the wrong thing, and so he said nothing.

"We are nearly there," murmured Cassian. Clearly he had recognised a landmark.

"I know," muttered Faith in reply. Her voice was so weak and her frame was so tense.

Although Kit was unsure of what had happened to Faith, he knew one thing for certain. These people were not nice people.

Kit caught his father's eye just before the carriage took them through the gates of the Runthorpe estate. Cassian gave Kit a reassuring nod. Just that simple gesture helped Kit to relax a little. No matter what was to happen, everything would turn out alright. Cassian would make sure of it.

The carriage pulled to a stop in front of an even larger manor. Kit would have been in awe had he not seen a shiver flow through Faith. She was feeling ill. Cassian rubbed Faith's back reassuringly as the footmen came to open the carriage door and unload the trunks.