Chapter 19

"Not belonging is a terrible feeling. It feels awkward and it hurts, as if you were wearing someone else's shoes." Phoebe Stone, The Romeo and Juliet Code

----  

Chapter Nineteen

Naturally, Cassian's arriving home and announcing to everybody that they were moving to Derbyshire had been a big surprise to everyone.

Cassian's plan was simple. He was now the owner of Finn Kelly's estate in Norwood. Of course, he had only been a "resident" of Norwood for a night, and that night had been spent in their jail, but he had found the place to be very lovely, quiet and secluded. It was out of the way, and gave off the impression that the people looked after one another.

"Faith Rowe" had been an alias. "Faith Kensington" could be one too.

Faith could not fake her death again, but by God Cassian would help her get away. Cassian would take her to Derbyshire where she would be safe. She and Lucy would live with the protection of Cassian's name. If he introduced them as his family then there would be no reason to doubt him.

It would not be legal, and it would be terribly sinful to live in such a way, but what was the alternative?

At this very moment Faith was travelling back to her barbaric husband. Cassian could not stand the thought of Faith being in that man's clutches for even a minute.

Cassian had explained to his household that he had purchased an estate in Derbyshire and had immediate plans to relocate. The house needed to be packed up and moved immediately. Those who could relocate with him would be welcomed. Those who could not leave London would be compensated while they looked for work elsewhere.

Cassian took his butler into his study after this conversation, under the guise of discussing the move. Cassian closed the door behind Mr Wade, who immediately lifted Lucy into his arms.

"Where is Mama?" Lucy asked him.

"I was going to ask the same question. Did not you and Mrs Rowe leave together, sir?" he asked.

"What I am about to tell you must stay between us. Do you understand?" Cassian asked seriously.

Mr Wade frowned and nodded his head. "Of course, sir. I always operate under the strictest confidentiality. Is this concerning Mrs Rowe?"

"Yes," confirmed Cassian. "Please, sit." Cassian gestured to one of the chairs before his desk.

Mr Wade tentatively sat down and sat Lucy on his lap. Cassian walked around to the other side of his desk and sat down. He took a deep breath and began.

"You know how I feel about Faith?" he asked.

The butler pursed his lips guiltily. "We had an inkling, sir," he admitted.

Cassian was not surprised. He had never made any deliberate effort to hide his feelings. "Do you remember the story that was in the newspapers a few years ago?" he asked. "The carriage accident that killed the Countess of Runthorpe?"

Cassian saw the recollection in the butler's eyes. He nodded slowly. "Of course. It was a tragic accident. She was very young."

"Yes, she was twenty years old," confirmed Cassian, "and she is three and twenty now."

Realisation dawned on Mr Wade as his jaw dropped. "I ... I do not understand," he stammered. "Mrs Rowe is –"

"Mrs Pendleton ... or Lady Pendleton. I do not know. I am not familiar with how to properly address peers." Cassian shook off the thought. "Faith is really Anne Pendleton, the Countess of Runthorpe. She faked her death three years ago to escape her husband's cruelty."