Chapter 2: A New School

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.

I groan, rolling over so I'm laying on my stomach. Groggily pulling my pillow up, I squish it down over my head. Hoping maybe, just maybe the nerve-grating noise will stop.

It doesn't.

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.

I groan again, this time in annoyance. Reaching my right arm out from underneath my cocoon of blankets, I repeatedly slap the top of my nightstand in a vain attempt to silence my alarm clock.

Now where did it...go.

I smile in triumph as my hand brushes against the cold metal of my old vintage clock, leaning further over as I lift my hand directly over top of it.

Prepare to die alarm clo-

I let a surprised yelp out as I suddenly find myself falling two feet down, my wrist knocking the alarm clock to the floor. My hands slap against the wood floor seconds before my face would've followed, the clock sitting just a few inches to my right.

Thank you hands.

I blow a piece of blond hair out of my face, my legs still on my bed, tangled in the bazillion blankets I insist on sleeping with.

What? I get cold at night....And yes, even in late summer.

Sliding my feet down to the floor, I pull my legs out. Grabbing my alarm clock with my left hand, I bring it up to my face, reading the hands on it: 7:00 A.M. But hey, at least it's now finally....quiet....

Crap!

First day of school.

I jump up into a standing position, practically running over to my clothes drawer. I frantically rummage through my middle drawer, my eyes scanning for what I'd already mentally picked out to wear today.

I pull out a plain red T-Shirt, and two pairs of denim shorts. I hold each pair of shorts up individually, looking between them as I make up my mind.

Not that there's much difference between them.

I quickly carry the shirt and my favorite pair of denim shorts towards my door, grabbing my bag of bathroom supplies before walking out.

Tiptoeing down the short hallway, I pass Michael's closed door. Smiling, I slide into the bathroom at the end of the hall. Only feeling more satisfied when I suddenly hear his door frantically open seconds before rushed footsteps come running down the hall.

He bangs on the door. "Heavyn!" He whines, banging on the door once again. "I've gotta pee." He complains.

I lean against the door. "Well maybe you should've thought of that yesterday before you repeatedly threw Cheedos at me." I state, adding a tinge of satisfaction to my voice.

He groans, probably rethinking his life's decisions by now. "But I really, really have to go." He continues, twisting the doorknob.

I walk up to the sink, splashing water on my face. "Too bad." I dry my face off with a towel. "Early bird gets the worm." I singsong.

He bangs his head against the door in defeat. "You're the worst sister on the planet." He grumbles.

"The feeling's mutual." I shoot back without pausing.

I hear his footsteps fade up the hall as he goes to check on the other two bathrooms.

Just wait.

One, two - I finish hydrating my face, running a brush through my tangled hair - four, five -

I nod to myself as I hear more footsteps come down the hallway, Michael immediately banging on the door again.