Chapter 14: Drama

{Friday, September 22nd}

"There were like five tiny as hell kittens in a alley, and Zack was all like, 'here kitty kitties, I've got some tuna.' Then they stared at him for like five minutes straight like he's some weirdo - though he is."

I shake my head at Zoey's 'overdramatic' retelling of yet another mishap Zack apparently had during his younger childhood, taking a sip from my coke.

Though she never really talks about hers. Suppose that's what Zack's for.

Speaking of Zack, he's sitting across from me - at our usual seat in the cafeteria, arms crossed as he glares at Zoey. Clearly not enjoying this as much as the rest of us.

Aaron and I.

He gives me a sidelong smile from his seat beside me, his hand moving to brush against the back of mine that rests on my thigh under the table.

I think he's going to ask me! Don't ask me how I think I know, I just have a feeling, a good feeling about it.

Which must be why it feels like there's a butterfly tornado inside my stomach right now.

I return the smile, immediately chomping down on a French fry afterwards as I rush to finish my only half eaten meal before the bell.

"Then he had the balls to actually gather these puny kittens up in his coat, carry them back to our apartment - all the while I complained to him, and bring them inside." Zoey dramatically sits back, looking highly satisfied.

"Mom freaks, immediately telling Zack that we can't keep them and we're taking them to the animal shelter. Zack starts bawling his eyes out - while he's still holding a pile of adorable kittens in the middle of the living room, completely crushed about he prospect of not keeping them." She snorts a laugh out at the memory, whacking a prone Zack on the arm as she leans forward over her tray of food.

"Then he ends up needing to get a rabies shot - amongst others, due to a few scratches he got while carrying them." She blows a laugh out like it's the funniest thing in the world, literally wiping a tear off from her eye.

Zack rolls his eyes, taking a sip from his sprite. "I didn't cry that much," he mutters as he places his drink down. "You looked just as heartbroken about it as I did." He points out, immediately making Zoey's face flush.

So Zack has a caring side. Not that I didn't already know that.

I zone out of their bickering as my attention switches to a movement up towards the end of the room, eyes falling on a irritated looking Dravin.

He's quickly stuffing a few papers in his backpack, eyes drawn together in what looks like anger as his right hand rests against his temple. His temple that seems to shimmer - with sweat? - in the florescent cafeteria lights.

I rap my knuckles against my chin, pursing my lips as I narrow my eyes at him.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this behavior - and exterior, from him during lunch and at other times.

My mind flashes back to yesterday, how helpless he looked.

Maybe it's due to his 'not really' claustrophobia? I may never know.

He abruptly stands from his seat, jerking his body as he turns towards the exit doors. Apparently too distracted to notice a notebook he's left behind on a chair, looking completely abandoned with his halfway full tray left on his table.

My eyes stay locked on the notebook even after he's disappeared outside, a strange sensation bubbling up from within my gut.

I'll collect it if he doesn't come back to get it after the bell rings. Yeah, that's what I'll do. Then I'll find him and return it later.