Chapter 20: Fancy Seeing You Here

Continued. . . .

It all falls into place as he steps out into the room.

His closed off and hesitant attitude whenever either Dravin or MidKnight are part of a conversation topic, the way he defends MidKnight, or even Dravin whenever someone mentions something offensive about them.

Of course. He's known all along.

Zack walks towards Dravin and Riley, and like Riley, he doesn't seem to notice me. Though, unlike with Riley, I get the feeling he doesn't actually know I'm here. "I came as soon as I could escape. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to evade both my mom and-Oh!" His gaze suddenly snaps over to me, a bewildered and surprised expression falling across his face as his steps come to an abrupt standstill.

"Uh, hey, Heavyn. Um-how. . . What?" He blinks, holding his hand up in a small wave. He looks nervously between Dravin and I. "Fancy seeing you here." He chuckles awkwardly, looking away as he rubs the back of his neck.

Dravin blows a irritated breath out, tilting his head back to look at the ceiling. "Let's just make it a freakin' party why don't we?"

Zack hesitantly walks over to Dravin and Riley, still staring at me like he can't believe I'm actually here. "Um, guys. You are seeing this right? She's here. Standing in your secret basement, staring at us while you're-" He looks Dravin over. "Shirtless and bleeding?" It comes out more as a question then a statement.

He raises an eyebrow at the state Dravin's in, letting a low whistle out. "Damn, they got you good," he says, looking over his bloodied upper body. Dravin scowls, looking like he'd punch Zack if he was closer and he wasn't looking like he's about to pass out.

"You don't say?"

Zack's gaze moves back to me. "But seriously, how'd she get here?" He blinks, moving his glasses further up his nose. "And she knows?"

Obviously.

Riley seems to almost chuckle at the questions, back to moving around as he seems to gather a few items up. Dravin makes a sweltering face, glancing over at me. "Yeah, she knows. She's the one who helped me get back here." His gaze softens to almost gratitude. "I'd probably still be dying in an alley if it wasn't for her." He says so softly I almost don't hear him.

I smile inwardly to myself, that feeling of butterflies starting up in my stomach.

Realizing the lack of conversation in here is only intensifying, I perch myself on the edge of the seat on one of the chairs. "Zack, you've known about Dravin this whole time?" I question, raising an accusing eyebrow up at him looking between the two as I realize something else. "And you're friends?"

He slowly nods. "Yeah. I made friends with him when he first started attending school. Once I figured out his secret we decided to cut all ties whenever we're out in public." He splays his hands out. "You know, keeping his identity secret and all that," he shrugs, crossing his arms over his chest.

"And now you're bleeding all over the floor," Riley butts in, appearing a bit miffed now as he stares down at the large puddle directly under Dravin. Dravin raises his less injured hand up in defense. "I said I was sorry, Ry. I didn't have any other choice."

"Well, if only you'd stop being a jackass and wear a stupid vest-"

"Riley, I've already said-" Dravin abruptly breaks off as huge, body-shaking dry coughs, like the other day in school, begin to wrack his lungs, eyes closing in pain as he practically keels over in his seat, blood pooling even faster with the sudden movement.