Runaway

**Salina**

Tree branches scratch at my face as I run by them. My normally black fur is covered in mud and dirt.My paws feel soft against the rough terrain. My nails digging into the earth to push myself farther and faster. My breathing is rapid. My body is telling me to slow down, catch a breath and rest. But I knew the wolves behind me wouldn't allow me to rest, I needed to get as far away as possible. To get out of this forest and across the human's road. I was not going to die tonight!

"Salina! Salina C'mon we aint gonna hurt you! We just want to talk ok?!" I hear Bron yell, he has Sasha and Damian with him.
I keep on running. I will not believe his lies, not again. Even if my legs want to collapse beneath me I'll keep on running until I'm safe from here. Bron is my cousin, and the reason why I'm running. The reason my life was torn away from me. The reason why my pack, my family was slaughtered and burned to the ground.

I stop suddenly, my ears pick up the sound of cars. "We're almost out" my wolf says. I point my nose to the air to try and pick up the scent of humans, I needed to find the direction the highway was at or I was done for.

I make a last second decision and begin to sprint to my right. The smell of humans is getting stronger, I need to hurry. I glance behind me and see Bron and Sasha gaining speed behind me. Damian is still young, he probably got left behind or is lagging. My thoughts are shattered when the wind is knocked out of me and I'm knocked to the ground by a giant ball of chocolate colored fur. I quickly regain my stance and look at my opponent, Damian, his deep green eyes seem to see straight threw me. I'll admit; my younger brother has gotten stronger.

In a flash Bron and Sasha arrive and begin to surround me.

"Salina, please don't make us take you back by force. We don't want to hurt you, just come quietly and nobody gets hurt" Sasha says.

I can hear sympathy in her tone of voice and memories of what happened earlier begin to swirl in my head. An unknown alpha had barged into our territory and declared war on all those who opposed him. He destroyed our homes, separated families, made brother fight against brother. He was like the devil himself. My mother was killed in front of my very own eyes, my father was challenged as alpha. And my brother, my little brother Damian; that had always been there for me, was taken from me. But now stood before me with his hackles raised and a growl deep in his throat, ready to kill me. I couldn't face a man who had killed those I love, and destroyed my very home. Yet some part of me wanted to go back with them, but my mind was made up. I was never going back to that place.

"Salina, we can start anew! can't you see? Our new alpha can provide us with safety, security, new alliances. We can become a stronger pack. Please Salina.." She says again.

I look to Damian who is still standing in front of me, I can see his eyes pleading for me to come back with them. I look to the ground and my eyes catch the collar he now wears as a sign of total, complete submission. It was the Alpha's way of showing he was the new leader, and would take no prisoners. Sasha, Bron, even Damian have joined the new "alpha's" pack, along with many others.

"Sis." I look back at Damian. His eyes are full of sorrow, and on the brink of tears. He shifts from his charcoal colored fur to tan, rough edged skin. His Light brown hair was dripping with sweat as he is still looking into my eyes.

"We don't have to live in poverty anymore, we can have a brand new life, a new start at everything. The alpha wants you to be his mate, and that means that you can still be the next alpha in line. Please reconsider Salina." He pleads.

I loved my little brother, and I loved my homeland, but I can't stay here. A growl escapes my throat as I notice Bron taking a side step towards me.

"I will not bow to a false leader!" I growl before taking a side bite into Sasha's front leg. Jumping over her I sprint to the sound of a semi-truck on the highway; I knew I was near. Only a couple meters away. I hear Bron's howl of anger, and that only drives my spirit to run faster.

I get onto the highway and smell the ground around me. " We need to find a place to stay, just for the night" my wolf says. There was a small city nearby, no doubt about it. I trotted in the direction of the smells. I recognized this place, I came here a month ago to find better game and I remember this place had a lot of good food and material. I even remember a cheap hotel to stay in! The prey wasn't too bad looking either.

That reminds me, I wonder if she's still there...