The New Alpha

**Dawn**

I lay still under Lucas's was, weak from the blood loss. I heard Salina's cries, her pleading. It made my heart shatter into tiny pieces to know my mate was hurting and I could nothing to comfort her. I watched as she plowed into Lucas and how she tried to remove him off of me. But all the while I had to lie still; if I had moved my plan wouldn't have worked.
I made sure not to moved an inch, blink an eye, and hold my breath for as long as possible. I hated seeing Salina hurt, but if she found out I wasn't dead, but very close, she would not have struggled so much and it would have tipped off Lucas. As soon as I saw Damien pick up Salina and walk out of sight, Lucas gave me one final good shake and then began to let go of my neck.

The fact that Lucas had not made sure my heart had stopped was his mistake. I was holding my breath to make it appear as if I stopped breathing which made Lucas think he had killed me. "Foolish, cocky alpha." I thought.

Lucas released my throat and turned his head up towards the full moon and let out a mighty howl. While he was distracted, his vulnerable throat was exposed to me and I took full advantage!
With all the strength I had left within me, I lunged up and sank my teeth deep into Lucas's throat. I tasted blood and it fueled my anger. I gripped tighter and I felt my jaws crush his vocal cords and windpipe, silencing Lucas's howl. Then I swerved my head to the left pulling so hard I tore his throat wide open severities arteries; blood poured from his throat like a river, pooling on the ground.
In less then a minute, Lucas collapsed on his side. I would not make the same mistake Lucas did, I took my law and rolled him over, exposing the most vulnerable part of a wolf. I leaned down and once again sunk my teeth into the wolf's flesh, tearing through skin and muscle nail I finally disemboweled Lucas. That was an injury I knew he wouldn't be getting up from.

I turned to look at Bron who had stayed behind with the other wolves to see the end of the battle. He nodded in approval, and then I lifted my head the light of the full moon and howled like no other. I had beaten Lucas, and Salina was safe, that's all that mattered. Bron walked forward and looked me in the eyes "you did good Dawn Knight. Far better then any wolf I've ever seen before. But do you think you are prepared for the responsibility of being an Alpha?" He asked. "An alpha? What do you mean? I don't understand." I shifted into my human form after I spoke. He closed his eyes as if he were deep in thought and then answers my question " when a former alpha is challenged to a duel and is killed, the wolf who killed him then becomes alpha. As Lucas killed our former alpha Solaris and became alpha, you have killed Lucas and so now you are--" "an alpha.." I whispered, finishing his sentence.

"An alpha!" I thought "holy shit! What the hell do I do now?!" I turned to ask Bron my question but as I did so all the other wolves around the field bowed their heads in submission. Even Bron, the same Bron who had dragged me and Salina up here in the first place, was on his knees before, me. I gasped in awe as the power of the wolf within me howled in triumph.

"Ms.Knight, I think it's time we got you cleaned up. Your mate is waiting for you in her room at the alpha house." Sasha spoke calmly and quietly. I nodded my head and tried to take a step forward, but fell to my knees. Wincing in pain as I grabbed my right thigh, I had forgotten I broke my leg during the fight. Bron collected me and we walked back to the alpha house. "I have some medicine that will heal your major injuries. I don't think Salina would be able to see you broken and shattered as you are now" I nodded to Sasha as she spoke to me. Her words were now kind and caring, not like the cold and hard tone she had shown me in town.

I placed my hand on Bron's chest and winced as the marks on my body began to burn like fire once more. Salina was awake now, but not for very long because just as it had started, the fire ended it a matter of seconds. "Salina..my love. I'll be home soon." I thought to myself as I took a nap in Bron's arms.