Before The War Begins

**Salina**

I opened my eyes and flinched at the bright lights above the queen sized bed I was laying in. The canopy helped nothing with the lights, so sitting up to the best of my advantage I realized this was not my room, and not Dawn's either. My ragged old clothes Dawn bought for me had been replaced to lean and clean dress pants, a black blouse, and Mary-Janes were on the floor next to the bed.
Tears began to fill my eyes once more, she was my mate, and I had failed her. Who knows what Bron and the others are doing with Dawn, either that or they put her to work. I shuddered at the memories that bagel to rummage through my mind; Dawn and I on the Ferris wheel, our kiss, the fight in the street, Dawn and I in the field, I remembered everything.

It made my heart hurt, it felt like I had to jumped off a building and plummeted into a world of darkness. Like my life was useless and I had no point in living. Dawn, weather she believe me or not, was my mate. She was my moon, my stars, my sun, she was my everything. The marks on my bodies proved that! Only a true mate will grow the marks so that when they find each other; they will immediately know who they are, and that's when the bond forms. A bridge between their senses, a bond no one could break. But in werewolf culture, should an opponent want a female, they have to kill their mate. The only way it could be prevented was to officially form the bond, a single bite on the neck and all would be completed. No one could break it, if she were to die, I would too.

A young woman, about the age of 18 walked into my room suddenly. Her light brown hair was tied in a messy bun, she wore a maids uniform and little black slippers. "H-hello,"I said in as quiet tone of voice I could possibly conjure. She jumped and dropped he towels she had been carrying. Turning to me, her eyes widened she sounded nervous when she spoke "Oh! Oh my, I didn't expect to see you awake Madame. I'm truly sorry, please forgive me."
She began to pick up the fallen material and I moved to help her but she pushed my arm away. "Please forgive my rude actions, but if you were to help me and he master found out I'd been in serious trouble. Besides it's only towels." She laughed, but I could tell she was worried. So I stopped. I figured she could answer some questions for me since she was my caretaker while I was asleep, "Who are you? And where am I?" I asked. Folding my arms and trying to sound strict.

She looked up at me, her eyes full of sorrow and worry. Her lips trembled and she stuttered while speaking "m-my name is Kaylen Macintosh, and I-I'm maid in this area of the mansion. Your in your room of course, at the Alpha House,,Lady Salina." My eyes widened and I ran to the window. I was in a room four stories up, so my hopes of jumping out the window and making a break for it were out of the question.

"Alright Kaylen, here's another question. Who is the Alpha and why does he want to see me?" I growl began to escape my throat, but I caught it and held it back to my best ability. "H-he wants you as his mate, he said your the only one worthy enough to be his mate.." I looked to her and saw her eyes were on the floor and her head was hung low. She felt unworthy, it was as plain as the moon at night.
"After taking over the Stump River pack, and killing the original Alpha, my master has done everything in his power to find you. He has searched far and wide, he even saved your brother from being killed. Please take him as your mate, I fear he has become ruthless and untamed, like a werewolf of the Old Times." Her eyes began to drip with tears, her heart filled with grief over a master who didn't deserve to be called a werewolf. "Kaylen, please understand, I do not love this master of yours. He destroyed my home, killed my family and took away everything I loved. I would rather die then be his, because you see," unbuttoning my blouse, I take off my white undershirt and revealed the marks hiding underneath the material, "I was never his to claim." I end.

Kaylen gasps and covers her mouth with her heads as if someone outside might hear. Fear now claimed her and she backed away from me, scared that I might be a disease or something. "Y-you...you have already been claimed!? This cannot be right, the master will be outraged! I must tell him-" Kaylen grabs the door handle and barely opens it before I slam it shut again. "I can't let you do that Kaylen. If he were to find out, he'd kill my mate on sight, and I'd be in deep trouble. So let's keep this between us, ok?" She's hesitant, but nods her head in approval.

I walk to the bed and sit down, tired beyond measure. I think I might be able to sleep, but the migraine in my eat won't allow me to move much longer. "Miss Salina, if I may ask, who is your mate?--" Kaylen was interrupted by the door swinging open, a new figure emerges. Another woman, only she looks far more older and has more experience then Kaylen. Her hair was black and long, it was braided and placed In a neat bun upon her head. Her blouse and skirt made her seem more business like then any werewolf I had seen. She spoke like a business woman too, "Miss Salina, my name is Christine, I am here to escort you to the dining hall. Dinner is prepared and the master is waiting for you." She placed her hands over her thighs and waited patiently.
I sighed, there was no pint in not going, I'm pretty sure their master would have a fit if I didn't attend his private dinner. Getting up, I straighten my shirt and button up my blouse, climbing into my Mary Janes I calmly walk out of the room and follow Christine down the corridor.

The walk to the dinning hall was an exercise itself. We passed at least 26 different rooms, and 5 stair wells. "This is crazy!" I thought "what werewolf bitch has this much money to buy a fucking mansion!?" Christine turned a corner and I followed without question. She then stopped in front of two large auburn doors. Three knocks was all it took for them to open, the weight of them made a creaking sound you could only hear in horror movies. Christine was the first to walk into the large dining room, I stayed behind to straighten my back and look presentable. If I was going to tell this Alpha off, I wanted to look good while doing it.

"Please, come in." Christine called to me. I walked in slowly, unsure of what would happen. When I walked through the large doors, I tried not to look interested in the design of the room, just keep your eyes forward. There in the middle of the room was a mahogany table, caked in foods of all kinds. Cakes, turkey, chicken, fruits of every color and vegetables of every spice. It was the most food I'd seen since i was a child.

Welcome Salina, I am happy beyond measure to have you in my lovely home. Please help yourself!" I stop staring at the glorious food and pay attention to the man talking. His sleek, curly, black hair hung across his forehead while a morning's worth of stubble darkened his jawline. Deep blue eyes, a straight nose, and a firm mouth completed the picture. Sexy and dangerous were the only words to describe him. "It is a pleasure to be here, though I'm quite taken back by my arrival." I speak as if I'd known him. His eyes stare into my soul as I begin to walk toward the table, two servants come and pull my chair out for me, I thanked them but never took my eyes off of the man on front of me.
"I find it funny, that a man I just met knows my name, but I don't know his." I smirked.
He announced it like he was naming the King if England, "Oh I'm so very sorry, please excuse my rudeness. My name....is Lucas Steele."