Isa

"Rach, please, you have got to help me!" Stephanie squealed into the phone as she conversed hysterically with her best friend Rachel.

"What do you want me to do?  I'm pretty sure you can still talk to your dad about this," Rachel tried to console her friend.

"No, there's no reasoning with dad.  It's been a month, best.  A month of me pleading!  A month of swearing off going to parties.   A month of bartering which has gotten me nowhere.  Hindi ko na alam ang gagawin ko, best.  I'm supposed to meet this guy next week."

"So payag ang lalaking ito pakasal sa yo?"

"I don't know, and I don't care.  Ang alam ko lang, ayokong matali sa kanya just because of a business transaction!  I love my family, you know I do, kaya lang hindi ko kayang sikmurahin to, best.  I feel like binubugaw nila ako, alam mo yun?"

"Grabe ka naman, bugaw talaga?  Did you tell tito and tita this?" Rachel asked in  a voice full of concern.

"Syempre.  But still, they're desperate people, Rach."

"And sounds to me like you are too."

"I am.  Please, anong gagawin ko?"

"Best, hindi ko alam.  I mean, meet this guy.  Who knows, baka gwapo sya.  Mabait.  And maybe he's really your destiny anyway."

"Alam mong I don't believe in that whole destiny hooey, Rach!" Stephanie grew more frustrated by the minute.  "We make our own destinies with each choice we make, hindi ba?  And like I said, I'm not interested in this guy, even if he is gwapo and mabait..." she paused for a minute and looked around her room.  Her eyes rested on her newly bought travel guide book to Paris.  "Alam ko na!" she suddenly yelled.  "I'm gonna run away."

"Really, Steph?  Run away?  Isn't that a little too cliche?" Rachel giggled on the other side of the line.

"Well, it's not like you have a better plan than me.  Basta.  Aalis ako!  It's the only way."

"You forget that your parents are actually really nice people.  It's not as if they're evil people.  I'm sure Tito and Tita will listen to reason once you guys meet with this guy and find out na hindi talaga kayo compatible."

"Bahala na, Rach.  I need to go.  I need to get away from here."

"Kaya mo, best?  Kaya mong talikuran si Tito and Tita?"

"Kaya din nila akong talikuran the moment they decided na pwede nila akong ipakasal para lang isalba ang hotels namin," Stephanie tried to say bravely.

"Stephanie Geraldine Asuncion, pagisipan mo ito ng mabuti.  Don't make any rash decisions.  Sleep on it.  Malay mo, bukas, payag ka na," Rachel giggled again.

"Not funny, Rach."

"Ano nga bang pangalan nitong future hubby mo?"

"Hindi ko alam.  Hindi ko matandaan.  Bakit, ano bang gagawin mo sa pangalan nun?"

"Wala, isesearch sya sa mukhang aklat."

"Mukhang aklat talaga?"

"Eh sa trip kong itagalog eh, walang basagan ng trip."

Stephanie laughed at her best friend.  Kahit papano, talking to Rachel was helping ease some of her worries and troubles.  "Hindi ko talaga matandaan.  My subconscious is blocking everything about this guy, apparently."

"Sayang, di natin makikita si pogi."

"And you're so sure na pogi talaga ha?"

"Hello, think positive, best."