Labing Lima

Ashton pulled up to the valet at the biggest resort in La Union.  He held his hand out for Stephanie as the valet held the door open for his date.  He gripped her hand as they walked together to the American steak restaurant inside the resort.  He watched as Stephanie walked confidently next to him, perfectly in stride with him in her high heeled wedges.  Parang sanay na sanay na ang dalaga maglakad lakad sa mga resort.  Hindi naman nya alam ang history ni Stephanie, and siguro tama nga si Carlota; kailangan nyang kilalanin muna si Stephanie.    Since it was a Monday night, it didn't take long for the host to seat them.  He pulled the chair out for Stephanie bago sya umupo sa tapat ng dalaga.  The host handed Stephanie a leather-bound menu, but before he could leave, she stopped him.

"Hi, do you have Dom Perignon here?" Stephanie asked the host while leaning forward in her seat.

"Sorry po, ma'am.  Wala po."

"I figured," Stephanie pouted.  Ashton just watched her amusedly.  "Okay, please bring out the best bottle of champagne you have.  Make sure it's from Champagne, France, because otherwise it's sparkling wine and not champagne because champagne only comes from Champagne.  But if you don't have champagne, then the most expensive bottle of sparkling wine you have will do.  Thanks a lot," she said sa natulalang host.  

"Sige po, I will let your server know."

"Thanks again," she smiled sweetly at the host and began perusing through the menu.  

"Impressive," sabi ni Ashton who now leaned back in his seat with his arms folded over his chest, a smirk on his handsome face.

"What?" she continued browsing the menu, not looking up at him.

"Ang dami mong alam."

"Uh, um..." Stephanie looked up at Ashton.  "I like to read...so marami akong natututunan sa mga binabasa ko.  Bawal ba?"

"No, no.  I like that you know so many things about so many things.  If I didn't know any better, I would think na..."

"Na what?"

"Na mayaman ka talaga,"  he smiled at her.

*Cough* *Cough*  "Nakakatawa ka..." she looked down at her menu again to hide her grimace.

"I don't know why you're looking at that menu...you're determined to order your steak and lobster kanina pa," he laughed.

"I know, pero malay mo may makita akong mas mahal, este, mas masarap."  *Cough* *Cough*  "Excuse me, ladies room lang ako...gamot, alam mo na."

Stephanie stood up and walked to the rest room.  She had to pretend she was going to take some cough medicine because it was actually really hard to keep up the pretense that she had an ubo.  Magingat ka, Steph!  Matalino si Abo.  Mabibisto ka na nyan eh.  Magmaangmaangan ka kung kailangan.  Play dumb.  Kaya mo yan! She gave herself a pep talk.  Meanwhile, the sparkling wine from California came out and Ashton asked to keep the bottle in a bucket of ice next to him.  Sya na lang daw ang magpopour pag bumalik na si Stephanie.  He also ordered baked brie for their appetizer, brie cheese baked inside puff pastry with candied walnuts and gala apples on top of it.  Pagbalik na pagbalik ni Stephanie, he poured their drink.

"Sparkling wine for you, babe."

"Salamat."

"Bakit tayo nagdedate?" she suddenly asked him after she took a sip of her bubbly.

"It's what single people who are interested in each other do."

"But I'm not single, and I'm not interested," she said and took another sip.