The DX Awaits

*Edited

As I laid there, wide awake next to my kid brother, Ponyboy, I thought about life. I thought about how it tells you one thing and does the other. I thought about how people say if you pray to God about something, then it might happen someday. I thought about how people said God was supposed to help you through life. Did he help my family by killing my folks? Did he help my family by stressing out Darry with bills and work? I just don't know anymore. Who knows what could happen? Someone could be there one day and disappear another. Why do I think about this? I have absolutely no idea. I don't like thinking about this, but my brain just likes stressing itself out I guess. 

I get up off the bed, careful not to wake Pony. I quietly open my door and go into the kitchen to get a glass of water. I check the time on the clock in the kitchen, 2:14 am. 

I had work in the morning so I finished my water and walked back to our room. I sat on the bed and put my head in my hands. 

Why do I think about this stuff? It doesn't help anything. Just stresses me out and scares me. I think and think, one branch growing from another until I hear a tired groan coming from behind me. I rub my eyes and turn around to see a sleepy Ponyboy staring at me. 

"Morning Soda," He yawns softly and rubs the tired out of his eyes.

"Mornin' Pony, sleep well?" I ask while standing up and stretching. Was I thinking about that for that long? What time is it?

"Eh, I slept. How about you?" He asked sitting up. I shrugged, not knowing what else to say. What am I supposed to say to that? I spent the whole night thinking about life and stressing about death. 

"Oh, alright," He says standing up.

 I get my blue jeans and clothing from the drawer and change into the bathroom. When I'm finished I look into the mirror and notice the dark circles under my eyes. Dang it. I fix my hair, not bothering with it much today and do my daily bathroom routine. 

I walk into the kitchen and get a glass of water and then going and sitting on the couch, waiting for Steve and checking the time. Two-Bit and Johnny walk in not even 5 minutes later. 

"Hey Sodapop, how's it going?" Two-Bit asked.

"It's going," I said, leaning back on the couch, relaxing my muscles.

"You look mighty tired, you get any sleep last night?" He questioned. Are the bags under my eyes that bad?

"Yeah, I did," I lied. He believed it and let it be. Johnny was shaking real bad and just standing there quietly.

"Hey Johnny, you alright? You're shaking quite a bit," I asked with concern.

"His mom threw him out the house and was hittin' him with a broom on the front lawn," Two-Bit answered. "Luckily I got there before any more damage could be done."

"Oh," Was all I could say. That poor kid, he ain't do nothin' to be treated like that. We honestly should call the police and have them arrested but then what would happen to Johnny? I have no idea. Maybe be put in a boys home-

"Soda you alright?" Two-Bits voice interrupted my thoughts. Ugh, I zoned out again, I do that often. I'm surprised I haven't walked into the street and gotten hit by a car when I zone out on the sidewalk.

"Y-yeah, just thinking 'bout stuff," I blink my eyes a few times to keep them from closing. I was real tired, mentally and physically. I stand up as I hear the front door open, revealing Steve, prepped and ready for work. I grab my DX shirt from the side of the couch and put it on over my white T-shirt.

"You ready Soda?" Steve asks while putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, Darry! We're leavin'!" I shouted to Darry, who was in the kitchen doing who knows what.

"Alright, be safe!" He shouted back, walking into the living room and sitting on the couch with his newspaper.

Steve pulled me out the door into his car by my hand. I was confused by his actions but brushed it off because I was too tired to think about that. He started the car and pumped the gas, the car roaring to life. And off we were to our destination, where something was waiting to happen.

•Did you guys like the first chapter of my new story? I actually am happy with this. Hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it•