Stars

As I got ready for bed, I noticed Ponyboy staring out the window.

"Pony? What's wrong?" I asked with concern. He shook his head and looked down.

"Just thinking" He looked up at the stars. "How many stars do you think are in the universe?"

"Gosh Pony, I don't know, trillions, maybe more" I shrugged.

"Alright" He said before he stood up and crawled into bed. I got in next to him and he shut off the light.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, but of course thoughts were running through my head. I heard a soft snoring coming from my right, meaning Pony already fell asleep.

I got out of the bed and walked to the kitchen to get some water. It was 11:30 on a Sunday night. I leaned back onto the counter and let my thoughts take over.

~Small time skip~

How does time work? How did people come up with the order for the numbers on a clock? How did people even come up with the word, 'numbers'? It's funny how the human brain works. How did doctors identify what something was without having the technology we have now? It's weird to think this because you never know what's what.

I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts. It was Darry.

"Soda, you okay?" He questioned.

"Yeah, just thinking again" I said as I looked at the time. 1:46am. How does my brain even do that? How does my body do that? Just stands there for hours thinking about life.

"I'm gonna go to bed, night" I started walking away.

"Soda?" I turned around and looked at him.

"Try to clear your mind, that might help" I smiled.

"Thanks, goodnight"

"Night kid brother" I walked to my room and got in the bed. I tried to clear my mind but random thoughts kept popping up. I decided to think about one thing. Steve.

When he first told me that he liked the kiss, my heart stopped. I thought I misheard him or he was joking with me. Then..he kissed me when I was freaking out. I don't know if he did it to shut me up or not but it worked either way.

But this time he did it at his own will. He pulled me in for the kiss, not me, him. I don't know what to say, I don't know what to ask and what not to ask. I just don't know what to do.

I just wish I could read his mind.

On that last thought, my breath fell smooth, quiet, and soft. I soon drifted off to sleep.

~Dream~

As I walked through the park, I saw something that glowed in the corner of my eye. I turned my head to see what it was, Sandy. She smiled and laughed as she swung her legs into the air, letting the swing lift her as if gravity had stopped working at that moment. The wind blew her hair as if she were in a movie, and her dress, waved at the ocean across from it. Her giggle was the most angelic thing you could hear. It was like music to your ears.

Suddenly, it all just stopped. She was sitting there. Not moving a muscle. With a bullet hole through her chest. Next to me was Steve with a devilish grin. He blew the smoke from the gun. I screamed and tried to run but I felt a sharp pain go through my arm.  He had shot me. I fell to the ground and looked up at him. He smirked and pulled me up by my good arm and roughly kissed me. This is not my Steve.

I tried pulling away but he just bit my lip and kissed harder. I took the gun from his back pocket and shoved him off of me. The next thing I knew, there was a gun shot sound ringing through the air. He dropped to the ground, dead.

~End of Dream~

I shot up in bed and my breaths were short and quick. I was sweating and trembling, I started to feel a choking sensation in the back of my throat and my chest tightened. I was dizzy and felt like I had to puke. I heard my heart beat pounding quickly in my ears. I looked around the room, I felt self conscious, like there was danger nearby.

I think I'm having a panic attack, how do you stop it??? It hurts and I'm petrified.

I tried choking Ponyboy's name out but I only made a loud but small squeak.

Thank God Pony's a light sleeper.

As soon as he opened his eyes, he was awake. He sat up quickly and hopped out of bed, running around the bed and to my side.

"Soda whats wrong???" He asked.

I couldn't speak and my vision was getting blurry and black splotches were appearing, scaring me even more. My breaths were still short and my chest was burning and begging for air.

Pony ran out of the room and came back quickly with a tired but awake Darry.

"Soda what's wrong????" He asked, his voice filled with worry. I tried my hardest to speak but only small squeaks came out.

I then saw realization come into his vision and he sat next to me, holding me and whispering calming things into my ear like calm down, no one is here to hurt you or take deep breaths and close yours eyes. I did what he said and soon my heart wasn't pounding in my ears and my breaths were slow and steady. He put my mind at ease and soon he let go of me.

"Are you okay now?" He asked gently, I nodded.

"I'm sorry for scarin' y'all" I scratched the back of my head in guilt.

"It's okay Soda, it happens" Pony stated.

"Yeah, but what happened?" Darry asked with confusion. I told them about my dream and what had happened.

"Wow...well it was only a dream and you're okay now, so don't think too much of it" I nodded.

"If you're tired, you can go back to bed" I said while I shrugged.

"It's 9am, It was about time to get up anyway" He said standing. "I'll make some breakfast, y'all hungry?'' Darry walked towards the door, Pony nodded. "Not hungry" I said standing. He just gave me a look and shook his head, he walked out with Pony behind him.

This was going to be a long day.