iv.

Jurauk scrunched up his nose at his plate

     Jurauk scrunched up his nose at his plate. "Father, what is this?"

     The Imperius wiped his mouth after a satisfied belch. "Dear son, that is an arm."

     The child rolled his eyes. "I know that, Father. But why is it an arm? I specifically asked for a neck." He reached out and lifted the small, chubby arm, examining it. After being well cooked, the skin had turned from a ghostly pallor to a warm brown, just a little darker than his own.

     His father leaned back in his chair with a sigh. "Humans are getting a little scarce beyond the walls of kingdoms. There isn't much we can do. Often, the neck is already decayed by the time it reaches here. Even if the neck is intact, usually Soren gets it." He casted a pointed look at the older Nefari sitting on his left side.

     Soren glanced up, fangs sunk deep into flesh. He sneered at Jurauk and made a big show of ripping out the jugular, making obnoxious chomping sounds. Jurauk pulled a face as he bit into his own meal.

     It wasn't nearly as tasty as a neck, but at least it was a child's arm. Children tended to be chubbier, and therefore more tender. He licked his lip as he set down the remaining bones with a clatter. The woman at his side shot him a look.

     "Jurauk, mind your manners when you're at the table. No bone-clanking. It's almost as bad as clinking on glass with a spoon."

     "My apologies, Impriessa," he mumbled, rolling his eyes. Discreetly, he tried to wipe a bit of flesh off his face. Lebony va Haarvuk muttered something incoherent under her breath as she daintily sipped her fingerbone soup.

     "Really, hasn't the previous Impriessa taught you anything? A pity that she didn't know too much."

     An awkward silence fell over the long dining table. "Lebony," cut in the Imperius sharply, "that's enough."

     However, the damage was done. Jurauk pushed his chair away, standing up abruptly. "I have satiated my appetite," he declared with a bow. "I shall take leave and attend to my other duties."

     Glad to be away from the withering gaze of the Impriessa, he scurried out of the dining hall and into the corridors. His steps slowed when he neared the grand staircase, his eyes trailing over the massive portraits of the va Haarvuk family.

     Centuries of va Haarvuk's stared back at him. The paintings were very old; the first ones already crumbling. He glanced over at the most recent ones. There was his father, stern expression and jet-black hair. His jaw was firm, and his eyes held a great sadness. Jurauk remembered when the painters had come to the palace. It had been right after his mother's death, and his father had gone into deep mourning.

     Impriessa Ryella's portrait had been done from memory. Jurauk had insisted there were certain areas that weren't quite accurate, but the painters had dismissed his ramblings. After all, how much could a child of two remember?

     But there they were, the small flaws only visible to Jurauk. The painters had forgotten the tiny freckle at the corner of her lip. Her red hair was curlier and was darker, more wine colored. The dimples weren't too prominent, and they were smaller than what was portrayed.

     Jurauk ignored the sneering likeness of Soren and the unsmiling image of himself, continuing up the stairs. The torches here were dimmer and were a vibrant shade of blue, signaling the entrance to another Fold. As he passed, his body shuddered, and he felt as if he'd just been doused with a bucketful of icy water.

     For a moment, the hallway rippled with waves and then stilled. Jurauk glimpsed a shape moving in the shadows. From around the corner came Vladislav, cape of gold trailing behind him. A few dark spots dotted the fabric. Vladislav seemed surprise to see Jurauk.

     "Little prince, greetings! I didn't expect to run across you upstairs. Aren't you supposed to be dining with your family?"

     Jurauk frowned, shrugging. "I lost my appetite after Lebony -sorry, Impriessa Lebony- spoke some disparaging things about my mother. She has difficulty keeping her words in her mouth, and Soren isn't helping much either. If he keeps sneering, he'll never find a wife."

     Vladislav gave him a sympathetic look. "It seems like you'd like a break."

     "Very much," agreed Jurauk, dragging his toe across the carpet.

     Vladislav was quiet for a moment. "Little prince, would you like to go on an expedition with me?"

     Jurauk perked up. "Expedition? What sort?"

     Vladislav smiled, reaching out a hand to tousle Jurauk's dark red locks. "I know you're mad at Soren not just because of his sneers. We are going to venture beyond Ledzemok into the human world for a midnight snack. How does that sound, hm?"

     He gave Jurauk no time to decide. He swept away, gold cape fluttering gently. Jurauk grinned and padded after him.

hey guys! sorry i haven't updated in a while

hey guys! sorry i haven't updated in a while. too busy with photoshop XD but here's the fourth chapter, and a brand new character is introduced! what do you think?

Discussion Questions: What are your current views of the Nefari? How do you think this little expedition is going to turn out?

if you liked this chapter, please vote! comment your thoughts, they mean the world to me!