xxiv.

"I could have sworn that a certain monster boy said we should not draw attention!" huffed Zora as she half-heartedly beat one fist on Jurauk's broad back

     "I could have sworn that a certain monster boy said we should not draw attention!" huffed Zora as she half-heartedly beat one fist on Jurauk's broad back. "And then you go off slicing off a potential snack and throw me over your shoulder like a sack of potatoes!"

"Would you rather me give you over to that repulsive creature?"

Zora froze. Her heart palpitated, remembering how low and dangerous his voice had been. "Th-that's not what I meant. Thank you for defending me."

Jurauk only grunted in response. They darted in and out of dark alleyways. The Nefari was so swift, only the scattering of dead leaves gave any indication he was there. After a few minutes, he slowed to a stop and placed Zora down beside the dirty brick wall. She wrinkled her nose in distaste with the roughness, but she didn't comment.

"Stay here," Jurauk instructed, rising. "This should be far enough that the townsfolk won't know who I am yet. I'm going to get some supplies because we won't be able to stay in this town for the night."

Zora childishly tugged on his sleeve, fear seizing her body at the thought of being left alone in an unknown place. "Take me with you!"

Jurauk shook his head. "I'm much faster by myself, and knowing you, someone will catch you. It's easier to steal if I'm alone."

"You're going to steal?"

He gave her hard look. "You want to live?"

Wordless, she nodded. Jurauk was gone in an instant. Zora pressed herself deeper into the shadows, keeping her body out of the light. She glanced out at the people in the road, praying no one would see her.

She nearly shrieked when there was a soft tap on her shoulder. In the nick of time, she was able to silence herself.

"Were you abandoned too?" asked a quiet voice. There was a shape wearing a ragged shawl sitting next to Zora. A skeletal hand lifted back the hood, and Zora found herself staring into an ashen, sunken face of a woman.

She should have been in her early twenties for she had no wrinkles, but her emaciated body resembled that of an old woman's. Dirt matted the golden hair that hung in clumps.

Zora uneasily asked, "I'm afraid you're mistaken. I wasn't abandoned."

"I understand how you're feeling," said the woman sympathetically. "You don't need to keep lying to yourself. All of us here was cast aside once the men were finished with us."

It was then that Zora noticed the other huddled lumps in the alley. The light reflected in their sad eyes. There was a baby's cry somewhere in the back, quietly silenced by hushing. There was barely an inch of skin that didn't have some kind of bruising, welt, or other marks.

She was so outraged, she started trembling. The woman mistook it for crying. "That red-haired bastard ought to feel ashamed for getting rid of such a pretty thing like you. It's alright now, we'll take care of you."