v.

Pyter and Zora left their sisters groveling in the dirt

     Pyter and Zora left their sisters groveling in the dirt. Zora buried her face in his warm shoulder. For the millionth time in her life, she realized that Pyter was perhaps the only male who would ever be nice to her. Out of all her siblings, he was her closest kin as he'd been birthed from the same mother.

"I heard about what mother did to your eye. It's awful." He sounded close to tears. Gently, he tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear, skimming the scarred flesh. Pyter flinched as the sunlight hit her wounds.

"Please don't remind me about it," Zora muttered.

"Very well then. How's your skin?" he asked quietly. She grimaced.

"It burns," she admitted, glancing down at the red flesh. It was already turning brighter. Her nightgown was also thoroughly soaked, the translucent material clinging to her trembling figure.

"I'll take you to Marx –" he started, but Zora interrupted him.

"Marx won't care. You know that," she said bitterly. "I'll be fine. Some ice will help. The burns don't look to be too serious as they aren't blistering."

Pyter looked upset but reluctantly nodded. "I suppose you're right. I'll deposit you in your bedchambers. Then I'll ask for ice."

He gently laid her on the bed, propped her up with a few plush pillows, and raced out of the room. A few moments later, he came back with a bucket of ice. "Change first," he ordered, turning away. "Then ice your arms. They appear to be the worst."

Zora quickly donned a yellow dress and stuck her short arms into the ice. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as the coolness combated the burning sensation. "Thank you," she whispered, eyes brimming with tears. Pyter simply nodded.

There was a question at the back of Zora's mind that had been nagging her for quite some time. "Hey, Pyter, why don't you hate girls like everyone else?"

Her elder brother blinked. "What?"

Zora repeated her question, and he snorted. "Isn't it obvious? It's because to hate on women is wrong. There are very few differences between the two genders. While it's true that females are usually weaker than men, it doesn't make them any less important. After all, it's the women who travail through labor and birth, looking after the children, and taking care of the household."

Pyter was beginning to ramble, but Zora didn't stop him. Instead, she leaned against the pillows with a smile. She liked hearing his thoughts. He spoke with so much passion, it made Zora truly believe he could change Etharia for the better. Once Pyter became King, he would have the power to do so.

The door was thrown open with a bang. Zora stifled a cry of disbelief, for there was the King. He'd come in a hurry; his ceremonial crown was askew. Had he just returned from a council meeting?