vii.

The King forced all the princesses to stand close to the kindling

     The King forced all the princesses to stand close to the kindling. They would not be burned badly. They were only there so the King could torment them with the heat of the flames and to remind them what would happen if they disobeyed. The entirety of the kingdom's nobles seemed to be squashed into the courtyard, huddled together and exchanging hushed whispers. Mostly men were present.

     The two princes were stationed up in the balcony on either side of the monarch. Gregori had a placid smile and stood with his arms by his sides. Pyter's face was white, and he was anxiously biting his lip.

     With a thin mask over her scars, Zora stood by the kindling next to Galina, trying to stamp out her tears of guilt. Zhoya did not deserve death. None of her half-sisters did, no matter all the pain and hurt they'd bestowed upon her.

     Anzhelika was the most shaken. She was struggling to cover her sobbing, but it was difficult for her to mask the snot and tears. Even her handkerchief did not help. Zhoya was her twin; they were the only pair out of all the King's children. They'd grown up together and were closer than any of the other sisters.

     She wept even more when Zhoya was led out, flanked by an entourage of royal guards. Zhoya had been stripped of her lovely gown and was barely clothed in something not even worthy enough to be called rags. Her sapphire eyes were puffy and red, and her typically glossy lips were chapped.

     The executioner emerged from the doors and was greeted by a raucous roar from the crowd. He wore a black hood and mask; only his eyes were visible. He lifted his arm high above his head, a lit torch blazing in his clenched fist. The volume of the cheers increased.

     The guards hauled Zhoya up the kindling to the wooden stake jutting out from the middle. She had no tears left. Thick, heavy chains were wrapped around her torso and limbs. Her feet were submerged in wood. As the guards descended, leaving her alone, the crowd commenced a series of booing.

"Filthy dog!" snarled a duke, spitting on the ground.

"Vermin like you are not worthy of being called human!" exclaimed another.

     Men were screaming disparaging phrases at Zhoya. She only bowed her head, shielding her face from everyone. The few women in the mass of people remained silent as they clutched their heavy skirts.

     Guilt was ripping apart Zora's poor, little heart. The shreds were all edges and sharpness, slicing away at her insides as King Hurfother stood on the balcony. She wanted to stop him, but that would only earn her the place beside Zhoya.

     "People of Etharia! We are gathered here today to witness the execution of someone who has committed the utmost treason! Just yesterday, one of the palace inhabitants overheard this girl speaking of intolerable things! She had the audacity to claim that women just as important than men! It is disgusting. Executioner, please do the honors."

     Just as the executioner raised the torch to light the kindling, the palace doors burst open. "Stop, please! I beg of you!"

     Zora's jaw slackened as she whirled around. The Second Queen stood atop the stairs, tears running unabashedly down her cheeks, smearing her dark makeup. Her chestnut hair was in tangles, and there was no tiara sitting on her head. She hardly looked like a queen. "My love, please stop this. Do you not care for your own daughter? This is Zhoya. Remember how we held her in our arms? She is your blood and flesh!"

     A hush fell over the courtyard. Even the ravens had ceased their cawing.

     "'My love', you say?" the King murmured, amusement flickering over his twisted features. "Perhaps that is the most hilarious thing I've heard in decades. Well done, Yekaterina. You have accomplished something nearly impossible."

     The Second Queen brightened, hope shining in her eyes. "Your Majesty, does this mean you'll forgive Zhoya? Oh, I'm so glad -"

     "Now, who said anything about that?" The tone of the King's voice had become harsher and colder. "If I remember correctly, you were the one to hold that creature and coo over it like a deranged bird. If the child is not a son, then it does not deserve to be of my blood, flesh, and name. If you are so eager to remain with this girl, why don't you join her?"

     A gasp ran through the crowd. Queen Yekaterina glanced about wildly as armed guards stepped forward, yanking on her arms. "My love! Please don't do this!" she screeched, attempting to break away, only to be hit on the head. Dazed, she was helpless as she was dragged to where Zhoya was chained.

     Zhoya screamed her first words. "You disgusting, vile pig! Don't you dare hurt my mother!" She spewed words so foul, Zora covered her ears. Her entire body felt numb. Was King Hurfother really going to execute the Second Queen? She was chained to the stake as well, and the fight had already left her. Zhoya cried, her wailing echoing throughout the courtyard.

     The crowd no longer cheered. Everyone was silent, save for the two women, as the King gave the signal. The executioner bent down, and the flames tentatively licked the wood, unsure what to do. Then there was a tiny spark.

     The kindling ignited with a blast of heat. The remaining princesses were standing so close to the flames, Zora grew uncomfortably hot. Sweat drenched her back. But even the crackling of the fire could not drown out the screams of Queen Yekaterina and Zhoya.

     Zora could only watch in horror as their clothes caught fire, the edges curling into shriveled black bits. Long locks of dark hair sizzled. The air was filled with the acrid smell of smoke and burning flesh.

     Even long after their screams died out, Zora and her sisters remained standing, sweating profusely and left shell-shocked.

     Hours, days, and eons ticked by. The flames roared, drinking in the fresh flesh they'd consumed. Still, they stood, legs getting sorer and sorer until the King finally clapped, dismissing all his subjects.

     As they filed back into the castle, Anzhelika shot Zora a glare full of hurt, despair, and rage. She leaned in close and whispered, "Zora, I hope you remember this day until your death. Know that it was your words that sentenced my dear sister and mother to burn."

     Zora tried to protest, but Anzhelika cut her off.

     "Just remember, little sister. Tainted hands remain red forever, and no amount of water can wash off the blood."

again, another chapter in which i had no clue what i was writing

again, another chapter in which i had no clue what i was writing...but i think it ended pretty dramatically, eh? you guys are probably bored of young Zora and little Jurauk XD i'm thinking up wrapping this early childhood up. 7,627 words are enough XD the next chapter will be a treat (hopefully lmao).

Discussion Questions:

What do you think the next chapter is going to be about? Just take a guess!

Will this all be over once Pyter becomes King?