xvii.

Jurauk woke up slumped over a galloping horse

     Jurauk woke up slumped over a galloping horse. He wasn't sure where he was or how long he'd been out. His arms were tied behind him, and ropes secured him to the horse.

There was a jolt of movement, and he clenched his teeth to keep from crying out as his side wailed in protest. Hot liquid slid down his skin, and when he glanced down, his shirt was thoroughly soaked with red.

"Stars," he breathed. Jurauk was restrained in such a way that he could turn his head side to side, but could not rise fully. It was most uncomfortable.

He craned his head, trying to grasp his surroundings. Trees towered above him, their ancient trunks twisted and thicker than two males standing together. There were hushed whispers from behind him.

"I think we're far enough. Cut him into pieces, and leave them in various parts of the forest. The Imperius would never suspect us."

"You know, I'm not dead yet," he grumbled with a tightened jaw. The voices stopped.

"How are you still living, boy?" hissed one. A male, from the deepness of his speech. "We've been traveling for days. You should have bled out already."

Jurauk tried to laugh, but it ended up in a fit of coughing. Blood spattered onto the rocks beneath him. "That long? No wonder I feel worse than trampled."

He heard the scraping of blades pulled out of their sheathes. Frantically, his fingers fumbled with the knots at his hands. Jurauk's knees nudged the horse's size, and he prayed it would get the message and bolt.

"Not a chance." There was a jerk of a lead tied to his horse, and all hopes of escape gushed out of him. The horses came to a stop, and there was the soft crunching of boots on dead leaves. It sounded like only two Nefari.

When the time was right, Jurauk took a deep breath, and rammed his head backward. He hit a soft nose which gave away, followed by a yelp. A sword whooshed down and bit into Jurauk's shoulder.

It also happened to sever through the bindings. Jurauk rolled off the horse, landing in the dirt so hard, he blacked out momentarily from the searing heat of his wound.

"Fool!" hissed a Nefari, clutching his crooked nose which now streamed red. "Why did you cut him loose?"

"He moved!" the other male protested weakly. Amidst their bickering, Jurauk scooted backward towards a large rock jutting from the earth. He twisted until his wrists were right over the stone and began rubbing up and down.

He felt the ropes beginning to fray.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing!" The Nefari with the broken nose advanced, his silver blade dripped Jurauk's blood.

His bonds snapped, and he leaped to his feet. As the other male charged, Jurauk ducked and tackled him. His weight sent them both crashing to the ground. They wrestled, one trying to slice, one avoiding each blow.

A fist drove into Jurauk's cheek, giving the second Nefari a chance to drive down the blade.

The Nefarian prince was officially done for. He closed his eyes, feeling his lifeblood seeping into the earth. He was so tired. Let death claim him swiftly.

The fatal stab never came. The world exploded into a cacophony of shrieks and caws and the fluttering of thousands of wings.

Ravens burst out from the trees, screeching in fury. They dove for the enemies' eyes, tearing them out with razor talons. Their feathers stuffed down the males' throats, silencing the screams. Jurauk's vision was blurry with sweat and pain as he forced himself to stand, leaning against a tree trunk for support.

He could only see midnight feathers. They brushed against his cheeks, softer than a whisper.

Don't die too soon, crooned the shadows as one. You are not meant for it yet. A raven landed on his shoulder, cocking its head at him.

How? thought Jurauk, feet nearly slipping in the mud mixed with blood. The raven seemed to laugh.

Curse, or blessing? Your choice, boy.

The air cleared, the ravens squawking in satisfaction as they disappeared into the wood. Vaguely, Jurauk was reminded of a time not too long ago.

Slipping feet. Falling pebbles. Air beneath him.

He couldn't dwell on the memory forever. With a groan, Jurauk lurched deeper into the forest. He needed to get away in case the Nefari had backup.

Everything was spinning, and his head pounded. One hand was clamped around his side which continued to cry out with each step. All the colors blended together until Jurauk couldn't distinguish trees from grass, rocks from streams, or flowers from creatures.

His legs buckled, and he pitched forward, landing on snake-like roots. It was too much. A wound and lack of food for so many days caught up to him once adrenaline ceased pumping through his veins.

Throat constricted. Muscles spasmed. Blood leaked.

Jurauk saw no more.

He was suspended in a black abyss, clothed only in the slithering shadows. They poked at his cheeks, observing him. He tilted his head back, waiting for the Reaper' scythe. There were neither clocks to tell him the time, nor a sun to warm his chilled body.

Then the most wonderful aroma floated by. He breathed in its heavenly scent, his stomach growling with wanting. But where was it? He waved his hands in the dark, grasping for the source.

Jurauk was sucked back to the forest. He wasn't dead, but the agony made him wish he were. Slowly, he registered that he was being dragged along the forest floor. Small, milky arms were under his arms, pulling him inch by inch. He heard heavy breathing from above him and saw disheveled ebony curls dangling from above.

And the scent! Jurauk's mouth watered, and despite his state of weakness, he found the last bits of strength to flip around and throw himself onto the person. There was a shriek of surprise, and suddenly, they were on the ground.

His hunger overwhelmed him to the point where he never took note of the face. There was only startled emerald green framed with black and the thrumming of her heart and jugular.

His hands pinning flailing arms down, Jurauk leaned forward and opened his mouth wide.

i'm the author and even i'm excited about these turn of events XDD so how was it? I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments <3

Discussion Questions: Do you think Jurauk will really eat her? What do you think Zora will do?