xix.

Zora's heavy eyelid fluttered, and she through the bright sunlight streaming through the cave's entrance

Zora's heavy eyelid fluttered, and she through the bright sunlight streaming through the cave's entrance. She was so warm. Her head rested onto something hard and flat. It rose and fell. All drowsiness vanished, and she shot to her feet.

     The Nefari was awake, gazing up at her with an amused smile. But in his eyes, she could see the pain and scarcely restrained hunger. He'd been awake for a while.

     "Sorry, I fell asleep. Stars, I didn't realize how tired I was. I hope my head wasn't too heavy," she babbled, heart racing. Would he pounce and gobble her up?

     And oh, holy mother of the moons, was that her drool on his chest?

      "I'm not going to eat you. We may eat humans, but we aren't immoral."

      Zora wasn't too reassured, but she did relax. "Alright then. But if you pull a move on me..." She brandished her comb. The Nefari gave an exasperated sigh and flashed his pointed canines at her –far more lethal weapons than her decorative jewelry.

      His hand skimmed across his bandaged waist. "You stitched me up?" he breathed as he probed the ridges beneath the cloth. Zora nodded mutely. "Are they from your dress?"

      "Would you have preferred dying from exsanguination?"

      "No, no. It's fine. Thank you."

      She settled into a cross-legged position directly across from where he laid, and looked him square in those glowing eyes. "Since we may be here a while, I think it would be beneficial for us to exchange information about each other. I don't want to keep calling you 'Nefari' in my head."

      "But I rather like calling you Clumsy-Human-Girl-Who-Tripped-Over-Me-While-I-Was-Passed-Out." He winked, although it looked more like a wince.

      "Stop hitting on me."

      "If I recall accurately, you were the one trying to bash my head in with a rock, Princess."

      Zora resisted the urge to smack him. "Dammit," she hissed, "I'm trying to make progress here with you! And don't call me Princess."

      "Fine, fine. I thought all girls enjoyed the nickname, but I suppose ladies first then."

      "Oh, you go right ahead." Zora smirked at his bewildered countenance.

      "Is that some sort of a human joke?"

     Zora almost doubled over, suppressing a howl of laughter. "Never mind. It's not quite as funny if you don't understand it. I'm Zora, and my goal is to return to Etharia to murder my brother Gregori, the kingdom's current ruler."

      "So the nickname Princess does work!"

      "You're impossible."

      "I've been told. My name is Jurauk. My stepmother's the one who stabbed me. I think it's because I'm a threat to my brother's inheritance of the throne."

Dark QueenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara