Chapter 4: The stranger

Picture of James

As I walked down stairs in a crop top that said bite me, my combat boots, and my leather jacket I decided to ignore Klaus and just go hop on my bike. At least that was the plan.

"What are you doing?" Klaus asked placing his hand on the door so I couldn't open it.

"Going to school." I said in a duh tone.

"Um...first of all, I'll drive us to school and second, you are not wearing that." He hissed.

"Why? I think it's ironic don't you? Plus you might be able to control a lot of things in my life, but my wardrobe isn't one of them. Oh and as for my bike, Klaus school is five minutes away and you have me in homeroom so relax, you would know if I didn't make it! So bye!" I said as I yanked the door open and left.

As I drove down the road I decided to stop at a Starbucks, I went in and ordered a chocolate raspberry frappuccino not caring if I had to pay a little more for the raspberry syrup.

As I was waiting for my drink I noticed a cute British guy starring at me. I smiled at him before looking away.

"Stephanie!" The barista called.

I grabbed my drink and was about to walk out when British boy stopped me.

"Sorry, but... look this might seem kinda strange, but I can help you get away, from Klaus."

I was shocked to hear him mention his name. I was about to respond, but he spoke first.

"If you're interested text me." He said handing me a napkin and walking out.

Well that was interesting. 

As I walked to school one of the football players came up to me. I think his name is Nick or something. He told me there's a party tonight at his place and I should totally go. A party sounds nice. Getting drunk off my butt and being free for once. However I know there is no way that was going to happen. 

"Alright Stephanie, I need you to grade these papers for me, here's the answer key." Klaus told me as he handed me a huge stack of papers. 

I nodded took them and sat down without saying a word. I figure if I actually behave maybe Klaus will let me go to that party. 

"Love is something bothering you? You have been awfully quiet this period and way to cooperative." He asked.

"I'm fine Klaus, thanks for asking." I replied trying to behave and hold my tongue. 

"You want something, don't you?" He predicted. 

Damn, since when was Klaus so perceptive of my behavior? It's fine just play it cool Steph. 

"Whaa? Me? Want something? What could have possibly given you that impression?" I asked putting my head on my hand.

Real smooth Steph. 

"Okay what is it?" He asked leaning back in his chair, and crossing his arms over his chest, preparing for what was to come.  

"Well you see, there is this party and-"

"No." Klaus interrupted. 

"But-"

"But nothing, you aren't going to a party with alcohol and potential life threatening situations." He concluded. 

Okay I have had enough of this! 

"Klaus," I started with gritted teeth. "You can't just come in here and say everything I can and can't do!"

"I'm just trying to keep you safe!" He responded.  

"I have been doing that just fine until you came around so just leave me alone." I told him getting up and moving to the door.

"Stephanie!" He screamed, but I just ignored him. 

It's not like I can get away from him anyway. His stupid hybrids are constantly watching me. 

Wait! Maybe I can't get away from him by myself, but with help I could. 

I walked into the bathroom at the end of the hall, locked the door, and turned the sink on to prevent any eavesdroppers. I took out the napkin and dialed British guys number. 

"Hey, it's Stephanie I'm ready to get away from Klaus what do I have to do?" I said once the he answered. 

"I knew you would call eventually, alright first thing you need to do is collect some wolfsbane and vervain. You can find it in the woods outside of your school. It's a yellow and purple plant that is almost a pretty and bigger version of wheat. Once you have it, mix with something you cook for them, but make sure to cover up the smell with other herbs and plants. Now I know you are half vampire, half human, so do you know if the vervain affects you?" 

"It hurts a little, but nothing I couldn't hide."

"Good, that means you will be able to pick vervain. Now is Klaus ever out of the house?" 

"Sometimes, especially if there is someone knew in town."

"Okay I'll handle that part you just worry about serving the hybrids the vervain and wolfsbane. Once that's done, run outside, there will be a necklace sitting on the ground, it will prevent you from being able to be sniffed out. Finally meet me off 2nd street just by the border of town. I'll be sitting in Starbucks." He said hanging up. 

That's a lot of things to do, but if it gets me away from Klaus then I'm willing to do anything.