Chapter 5: Escape

Chapter dedication: lori_smile_girl

I walked thru the woods right after I got of the phone with James. I knew the hybrids were watching me, so I had to be sneaky. First things first I got to find the plants.

It took about 20 minutes but I eventually found them. I pretended to fall the first time and snuck some of the vervain into my pocket. Then the second time I actually did trip.

I didn't waste anytime after that and quickly left school and went to the grocery store. Picking up herbs like, basil, parsley, oregano, etc. Anything I thought might help cover the smell of the poison plants.

"What are you doing?" Blake asked.

"Making dinner." I said simply.

"Okay." Blake said walking away.

Once I was finished I invited the boys to eat. I knew they would be a little suspicious so I took a bite and hid the bit of pain that I felt.

"Look I know it was weird of me to make you dinner, but I felt bad since Klaus was so angry after I escaped." I told them.

They just nodded finally taking a bite of the food. As soon as they did I got up and ran. I knew full well that wouldn't keep them down for long. I started my bike and zoomed down the street.

Once I got to starbucks I slid my helmet off and was welcomed by a british accent.

"Well done. I didn't know if you would have made it." James said impressed.

"Thanks, but really we should get out of here." I said looking around for any signs of hybrids or originals.

"You're right let's go." He nodded pulling me along.

We got in his car and sped away from Klaus. Relief to finally be free takes over me.

"So where are we going?" I asked after we walked for a good hour.

"Well the walk to my car is about another half mile. Then we are going to a safe house I have a few towns over." He explained.

"Okay."

Once we got in the car I took a deep breath. I had my doubts with the amount of walking that we would have been found. Now I know I am safe... for once.

"So how do you know Klaus?" I asked James.

"Well we ran into each other about 100 years ago. Let's just say we didn't exactly get along. He was a controlling hybrid and I was a independent vampire. Those two don't exactly mix."

"Yeah, I'm not sure Klaus mixes well with anyone. Well anyone who he doesn't force to mix." I laugh.

James laughed too.

It was nice and weird to feel like I was able to trust someone again. It's been a really long time since I've actually allowed myself to trust.

"So what's your deal with Klaus?" James asked me.

"You don't know?"

"I know you are a half vampire, half human. That still doesn't answer what you did to get on Klaus' radar."

"Well there's two things; first, Klaus had a friend and I point him to a group of werewolves, but instead of being werewolves we sent him to a group of witches. Second, he found out that because of me being a special kind of being, I have doppelganger blood running in my veins. So with revenge on top of doppelganger blood, I'm on the top if his list of people to get."

"Wow. Here I was thinking I was neck deep in Klaus problems." James laughed.

I fell asleep shortly after the end of our conversation, which was weird for me. Usually I'm not that comfortable around other people. I never fall asleep around them. Never let my guard down.

When I woke up I was in the bed in what looked like a log cabin. This must have been the safe house James was talking about. Getting up I realized I was really hungry. As I walked through the door, the smell of pine overwhelmed my senses. I realized that this safe house was quite small. The living room was the same room as the kitchen. It looked like the only bedroom was the one I was just in.

As I looked in the fridge I found only a few eggs and some milk. Guess that would just have to do.

Once I was done making the scrambled eggs I realized that James was nowhere to be found.

I went to open the front door to see if he was outside and sure enough there he was talking on the phone.

Me being me didn't draw attention to myself, instead I just listened.

"Look Klaus you either give in to my demands or the girl dies." James said into the phone.