Chapter 3

5:23PM

"Ughh." Lori groaned at the sound of her alarm. It must've been afternoon because when she rolled over she could faintly hear the sound of the radio in the kitchen playing Drew's favourite station. The continuous sounds of country were far too happy to be a Monday morning. "Shut it up." She groaned, throwing the pillow over her head.

Realising that the music wasn't about to stop the Alister, with a grumble, dragged herself out of bed. Reaching for her disregarded hoodie, she pulled it on and made her way downstairs.

"And she makes an appearance." Drew sang, loudly, earning himself an unamused glare from his sister.

"Do you have to be so loud." She complained, turning down the radio player before she went to make herself a coffee. Drew motioned that he had already began making her one and ushered her to sit at the table.

"Thanks." She said,  appreciatively as her brother handed her the steaming beverage. Reaching for the cupboard he pulled down a pack of pain meds that would hopefully reduce the effect of the hangover, chucking them towards his sister and handing her a glass of water, she smiled gratefully.

"Aren't you working today?" Drew asked, taking a sip from his own mug. She had been about to answer when Drew's phone chimed, signalling a message. The older Alister's smile instantly brightened as he read the message. However, unbeknownst to him his baby sister was watching his reactions.

"Someone special?" She chuckled. When Drew didn't respond and dropped his cell to his pocket, Lori continued, a mischievous glint in her eye." There's someone, isn't there?" The younger Alister smiled as she watched her brother struggle. His face said it all. Clicking her tongue, she smirked. "What's his name?"

Drew shook his head. "I don't know what you're on about." He shrugged, taking a sip from the coffee mug as he continued to lean against the countertop.

When his sister shot him her toothy grin he realised that he wasn't getting anywhere. Letting out a groan he eventually caved. "Rick." He said, quietly, hoping that his sister would let it go but it was Lori, there was no letting go.

"Rick? As in Rick, Rick?" Lori asked. Her hungover forgotten as her mouth lay agape. "Wow." She breathed.

"What's wrong with Rick?" Drew crossed his arms across his chest. He knew telling his sister had been a mistake.

"Nothing." She squeaked, still surprised from the reveal. "I just didn't think he- uhm, swung that way." She smiled, sheepishly.

"Seriously?" He huffed in annoyance.

"I- well." She scratched the back of her head, pursing her lips out. "thought he was- ya know...straight." She smiled, failing to admit that her drunken state had managed to try it on with him in one of the gatherings Drew's family had held. Out of respect and fear that things could become awkward Rick had promised not to say anything.

Drew rolled his eyes. Rick, like himself had kept his sexuality quiet. He hadn't wanted to be treated differently because he like the same gender and despite today's day and age it was still frowned upon to be a gay soldier, it had been the only reason why no one in the hospital knew.

"Hey." She held her hands out in mock surrender. "He's a good looking guy. You've done well there bro." She chuckled. Standing up Lori made her way over to Drew, wrapping him in a hug. "Love ya D."

"Love ya, too." He chuckled, pulling back upon hearing a thud from one of the spare rooms. Noticing the look of confusion on his sister's face, he chuckled. "You can't remember inviting everyone back then?"

Lori's eyes widened, her face scrunching. "I did?"

Drew nodded.

"Morning." Jordan yawned, rubbing her eyes as she appeared in the kitchen area, TC stumbling into the walls close behind. It was quite possible that he had still been slightly drunk.