Chapter 5

A/N: I DO NOT OWN THE NIGHT SHIFT. SOME DIALOUGE IS FROM THE SHOW TO HELP WITH ANY MEDICAL INFORMATION THAT MAY NOT BE SHOWN CLEARLY. THANK YOU. (2 PART CHAPTER)

7:11PM

"Did you guys get caught up in the storm?" TC asked as he watched Lori and Drew wander in, both wrapped up warmly as they shook off the rain they had collected from their hoods.

"Yeah and I'm late for a meeting with Ragosa." Lori grumbled. Finally, Ragosa had agreed to find another surgeon to help her run the department. She hadn't been sure who it was but she was promised that she would be satisfied by the Managing Director's decision.

"Okay." Drew nodded. Offering to take Lori's coat, she handed it to him with a thanks and headed off, telling him she would meet up at break.

"I think there's a person missing from that coat." Jordan joked as she saw Drew holding the soaked jacket and bag.

Looking down, Drew explained that Lori was late to her meeting having been caught up in the storm on their way to work. "I'm just gonna drop these in her locker and I'll be out."

"Incoming!" Molly called, interrupting Drew's plan. "Dr Alister, TC. Yyou're needed over here."

Jordan sighed. "Give them here. I'm sure she wouldn't want you rooting through that mess she calls a locker anyway." She chuckled, accepting the clothing from the older Alister, Jordan made her way to the locker room.

"What do we got?" Drew asked as he and TC advanced towards the gurney that was currently being wheeled in. With the winds high and the storm coming closer it was almost a dead cert that San Antonio Memorial ER would be swamped tonight.

"Line worker, struck by lightning." TC visibly winced at the paramedics words. "BP's stable but he's having runs of PVCs."

The two doctors nodded, looking between each other they decided that Drew would take this case. "Okay, I got this one. Paul, you're with me." He said as he waved the intern over.

7:30PM

"Sorry I'm late." Lori apologised when she finally caught up with Ragosa and...Scott. Her face now one of confusion, she questioned. "I wasn't aware we were in talks with a Dallas merger?"

Scott chuckled. "No, I'm just thinking about relocating." He shrugged.

"Dr Clements here would join you as Co-Head of Trauma Surgery her in SA Memorial, as you have made me perfectly aware, we are lacking surgeons. Dr Clements here has been informing me on his plans for the future of the Trauma department." Michael explained, his voice mocking as he recalled Lori's pleas for the ER to expand.

Lori was taken aback, as far as she knew Scott had no interest in joining her as a Trauma surgeon. Not that she wasn't grateful, of course she was, she needed the extra help and he had in fact been her first choice. "Well, don't let me stop you." She smiled, sickly sweet. She hated being talked down to.

Smiling, Scott continued. "In addition of having four state-of-the-art trauma rooms and a dedicated trauma CAT scan machine. I mean it would be a remarkable upgrade for me but-"

Not having been there earlier, all Lori could do was stand and listen. "But of course you have your own personal circumstances to consider before accepting?"  Lori continued for the doctor, he nodded in agreement.

"What's to figure out? The two of you can come together and make the greatest Trauma department in Texas."  Michael shrugged, using his arms in emphasis. It was true, Lori was known for her quick thinking but he knew she couldn't work alone, she needed someone she could delegate to, someone she could trust.