Chapter 2.

When we finally got to the square, I spotted the place where they had to draw our blood. The boys had told me about it and said that it only hurt for a second. But I had been dreading it. Ace had to push me into the line.

"Ali. It's okay. It will only hurt for a second." Aylor said, putting his hand on my shoulder. I took a few deep breaths before I stepped up to the table.

"Next." A man's voice said from inside the Peacekeeper helmet. I gave him my hand and he picked up a metal thing. He pressed a button and a needle-like thing popped out and poked my finger. I winced at the sight of my blood coming out, but only a few seconds later, the Peacekeeper grabbed my hand and pressed my finger onto a piece of paper. My finger was still bleeding, so the Peacekeeper put a cloth-like thing on it.

"What is this?" I asked. The Peacekeeper didn't answer, so I walked away. I was forced into a line leading to the 12 year olds.

When I got to my place, I looked around to see if I could find Aylor or Ace or Arkin. But I couldn't. Then, a boom went through the square and I looked up at the stage to find a woman with bright pink clothes and hair.

"Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! To the 99th Hunger Games! First of all, let's watch the video sent to you all the way from the Capitol." The lady turned around and a screen appeared. The Capitol symbol appeared on it and a man started talking.

"War. Terrible war..." that was all I heard before I zoned out. I was thinking about Avery growing up. I didn't know why, but I was. She looked just like me but with blonde hair. I came to reality when the lady started talking.

"I just love that!" She said.

"Now, the time has finally come to select the male and female tributes to honor your District. I'm so excited! As tradition, ladies first." She said, walking over to the glass bowl filled with white slips of names on the left side of the stage. She plucked one from the bottom and lifted it up. She walked back over to center stage and untaped the slip.

"Alycer Willows." Her voice rang through the crowd. My face turned paler than ever and the tips of my ears turned cherry red when everyone turned and looked at me. I turned and started to walk to the aisle. I got to the aisle and three Peacekeepers grabbed me and led me to the stage.

"Here! Up here, sweetie." The lady said, beckoning me up onto the stage next to her. I walked up the stairs slowly and walked to center stage.

"Now, what's your name again, sweetie?" The lady asked me, grabbing the microphone and putting it close to my mouth.

"Alycer Willows." I said, my voice cracky and wispy. The lady smiled and put the microphone back up to her mouth.

"Well, let's give a nice round of applause to District 7's female tribute, Alycer Willows!" Everyone managed a tiny clap.

"Now, for the boys!" The lady yelled into the microphone before waddling over to the right side of the stage. She dug her hand into the bowl and grabbed one of the very bottom slips. She walked back to center stage and untaped it.

"Maliki Alexander." She said into microphone. I watched as everyone stared at my best friend. Maliki and I had been best friends ever since we met: which was 10 years ago. He was Aylor's best friend, too, and they were the same age. Aylor and Maliki were one year older than me.

"I volunteer as tribute!" I heard a boy say. I looked back at where the boy had ran out into the aisle and yelled. A tear slid down my eye when I saw who it was. Three peacekeepers grabbed him and walked him to the stage, where he climbed the stairs and stood beside the lady.

"And what's your name, young man?" She asked. I watched as the boy leaned towards the microphone.

"Aylor Willows." My brother said, a stunned look on his face. The lady grabbed my shoulder and Aylor's shoulder.

"Well, I bet my buttons this is your sister?" She said, looking at me. He nodded and said 'yes'. She brought the microphone back to her mouth.

"Well, let me introduce the tributes from District 7, Alycer and Aylor Willows!" The lady said. "Shake hands you two!" She said. I sniffled as I collapsed into Aylor's arms. He hugged me and I heard the crowd moan. This years tributes from District 7 were age 12 and 13.

"And may the odds be ever in your favor."

I hoped that the odds were in our favor...

When we got inside the Justice Building, our mentor, Sunny West, was waiting. I ran to her and hugged her.

"It's okay, Ali. Everything's gonna be okay." She used to babysit me before she was in the Games four years ago. She won by acting innocent, like Johanna Mason, but she actually was very fierce.

"It's okay." She said again.

"Sunny?" I asked. She looked down at me.

"Yeah, Ali?" She asked, smiling.

"Can Aylor and I see our family together?" She nodded.

"Of course you can. You're family anyways." She said. Then, the lady came and grabbed both Aylor and I and led us to a room. There we waited until the door opened and Ace and Arkin came in. We all collided into a huge hug that lasted for a few seconds.

"Aylor." Ace finally said. "Go for the sword. Your good with it probably since you're pretty good at hitting things with your shovel." I tried to smile as I remembered a year ago when Aylor accidentally knocked Ace out when he swung a shovel over his shoulder. But I couldn't. My chin trembled and my eyes stung.

Ace looked at me. "Ali." He said. I held my tears in.

"I'm okay." I said with a shaky voice. Actually, I wasn't okay. My brother and I were going into the Games.

"What are you good with?" He asked. I shook my head. "Ali?"

"I don't know, Ace!" I said, putting my hands over my eyes so they didn't see my glassy eyes. The whole room was quiet. "I'm good at running." I finally said.

"Ace, Arkin. Make sure that Avery gets enough food. And make sure that Ari and Audrey get along while I'm gone. Please?" I said, wiping my eyes. Ace nodded and we all hugged again before the door opened and the Peacekeepers dragged them out.

"Follow me, you two." A Peacekeeper said, waving at us to follow him. I grabbed Aylor's hand as the Peacekeeper led us to a car. I had seen one before, but I didn't remember where or when or why I had seen it. Probably in a dream or something like that.

When we finally got to the station, the Peacekeeper opened my door and we both got out. The lady was waiting for us along with Sunny. They helped us onto the train.