Chapter 12.

We had only been out in the woods for around 10 minutes when it happened.

"Alycer! Neia!" We heard a high voice scream. Rue. "Help!"

"Aylor!" We heard a deeper voice yell. Lethan or Josh. Whoever's voice it was, we were coming.

"We're coming!" Neia yelled. Aylor and Neia were already running. I shook myself out of my daze and stared to run, too.

I saw a whole fight going on. I looked around and saw Josh and Lethan fighting three big tributes. Children. I saw Rue was fighting a large boy. I went to help her fight, but Neia stopped me. She was hiding against a tree, and stopped me from charging into trouble.

"Sneak attack." She said. And I knew what she meant. She loaded her bow, and I grabbed a knife.

"On three." I said.

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

And we sent our weapons flying. My knife hit the boy Rue was fighting. Neia's arrow hit Lethan's opponent in the back. But before I could throw another knife, Neia had another arrow in Josh's opponent's forehead.

"Nice throwing, Ali." She said.

"Look out!" Josh yelled.

The spear went flying right past me, and my knife landed in the girl's chest who had thrown the spear.

"NO!" Neia yelled.

I turned around and saw Rue pulling a spear out of her stomach. She pulled it out and fell to the ground, Neia catching her as she fell. They were on the ground. I dove over to them.

"It's okay. You'll be okay, it's okay." Neia was saying. I shook my head. She won't be okay, though.

"Will you sing?" Rue asked.

I looked at Neia.

"I can't, you have to." She said. She had tears streaming down her dirty face. As did I.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close you eyes

And when they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm.

Here the daisies guard you from every harm.

Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true.

Here is the place where I love you.

Rue let out one last breath before going limp. I put my hand over my mouth to keep the ugly crying sounds that I usually make when I cry quiet. Lethan walked over and hugged Neia. She was bawling her eyes out. I felt like I might've too. Aylor came over, closed Rue's eyes, and hugged me. That was my breaking point. I started crying, too. I looked over at Neia, and both Josh and Lethan were hugging her. She had never seen a death before. That's why it was so hard for her.

I wiped my tears away and got to my feet. "We should probably get some rest, guys." I said, my voice still croaky from my breakdown.

"Agreed. We need to be prepared." Neia said.

"Aylor and I could take first watch." Josh said.

"I'll stay with you guys. Not like I would be able to get any sleep." Lethan said as he settled down beside a tree.

"But not here. Not where Rue died." I muttered. They all looked at me, sorrow filling their eyes.

"I agree. Let's get out of this place." I looked over at Rue. The helicarrier would be there any moment, so I did the first thing that came to mind. I walked over to her, grabbed the spear from beside her and put it in her hands, and started grabbing white flowers that were around us. Neia helped me make a bed of flowers around Rue.

Neia had silent tears falling from her face as she laid the flowers. I then put my three fingers to my lips and held them up. I whistled the four note tune, and Neia joined me.

We stood up and started walking away as we heard the helicarrier approaching.

We walked until we dropped; literally. Neia fell to the ground after a couple of minutes.

"I can't walk anymore." She said, yawning. Then, she fell asleep right there. I got on my knees and laid beside her. I fell asleep.

I woke to the sound of leaves crunching. I opened my eyes and saw that no one was awake, except me. I got to my feet and grabbed the sword that was sitting up against the tree. Then, I started walking.

"Where are they?" I heard a boy's voice say. I walked a little farther when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around and saw a boy standing there. He smiled and I felt something hit me in the side of my neck. That's when everything went black.