Delicious

The carcass of the doe elk sat temptingly upon the soft soil of the forest. Many salivating chops were licked by eager tongues, ready to delve into the warm flesh of the kill. Even Mother Wolf looked eagerly at the dead elk. It was entrancing. 

Our eyes watched as Sable Wolf, who hovered over the dead prey, leaned down and began to tear into the soft flesh of the Cervus. The scent of meat and blood permeated the air and my nostrils flared.

My nature urged me to go forth and begin to eat, to disregard Sable Wolf's claim as alpha. His title was not recognized by my nature. 

I whined, my claws gripping into the dirt as I held myself back from lurching toward the kill. I had not submitted to Sable Wolf, but I had renounced my qualms to fight back... for now. Mother Wolf felt my anticipation and quickly turned and lathered my face in her saliva, her own excitement betraying her. 

As soon as Sable Wolf took a few bites, the rest of the higher ranking wolves dove into the kill, their sharp white teeth shredding flesh and sinew with quick bites and tight yanks. It was agonizing to watch as my stomach grumbled.

Sable Wolf lifted his head and turned to look at Mother Wolf and I, his eyes steady as he looked between the carcass and us.

Swiftly Mother Wolf and I were crawling on our bellies towards the carcass, bypassing warning bites from the wolves already at the carcass that told us to steer clear from their area of the doe. 

Sable Wolf allowed us to eat from his section, our bellies still flush against the ground as we feasted on the stomach beneath his legs. If he dropped the scraps of some organ we were quick to nip it up and swallow it down into our full bellies. 

When we had had enough we retreated back to the woods and licked ourselves of the blood. Mother Wolf, Sable Wolf, and I all taking turns cleaning each others fur. They had saved me for last, both their tongues lapping at my cheeks and maw where most of the blood was left on my light fur. Mother Wolf and I would remain more stained along our chest due to the paled complexion of our coats in comparison to Sable Wolf's darker coat. 

We twisted along our bellies and lounged in the sun as the rest of the wolves ate their fill. Eventually I had wandered over and stolen the bones of the ribs and brought them back to my area where I gnawed on one end, Mother Wolf eventually joining in and gnawing on the other. 

The sound of crunching bones and wet tongues cleaning fur were the loudest sounds of the forest around us. The pack was satisfied with the hunt today. The doe had been big enough that she had fed us all until near completion. This rewarding kill brought moods high, and the adolescents began their play, dragging even some adults into the mix as well. 

Even I joined them, parting from Mother Wolf to join in their wrestling and play. Our teeth knocking together and sinking into each others' coats lighter than if we had been actually fighting. Whines of play and excitement coaxed some to sleep and some to lazily watch our rambunctious entertainment.