The Bank

I ride down the street, wanting to just, drive. I get a few looks, probably because of my choice of vehicle. But I love my scooter, she's beautiful. I remember when I got her. I didn't have much money when I moved here, so it took me a while to get settled. Finding a free home really helped, because then I didn't have to worry about paying rent every month. When I was sixteen, I had a little more than three thousand dollars saved up, and I knew I wasn't going to college or high school, so I decided I desperately needed a ride. No, I don't have a license, but no cop has ever asked me and I'm willing to bet they never will. So I went to this guy that I met in an alleyway, and he got me in this great deal with another guy, and I bought the beauty from him for a fairly cheap price. I find my skooter very useful, I ride it everywhere. Maybe some day I'll get a car, but that day is not anytime soon. I drive past the ugly tower that has a huge A on it. I sort of remember it used to be the Stark tower. But now it's the Avengers Tower. Huge, ugly, whopping thing smack dab in the middle of Manhatten. I put my helmet on tighter around my head, zooming through traffic and taking shortcuts, just enjoying the wind whipping back my hair. I love my helmet too, it's white with the Union Jack on the side, reminding me that wherever I go, I'll always be from Scotland. When I get enough money, I want to go back to Scotland, to see Alli and my home. But I just...I don't know if I should, ya know? I feel like, after three years, everyone has moved on. I wouldn't want to go there just to get ignored, but I wouldn't want to return just to get smothered. I would only go back there for Allison, so I don't know if it's worth it. She's worth it, but what if she doesn't want me back? What if she's moved on without me and forgotten all our good times? I don't want to barge in on her new life, a life without me.

I remember when I met Alli, that was one of the best days of my life.

~FLASHBACK~

Today is my twelth birthday, which means I survived one more year on this cruel planet. Great, just splendid. I know all the shortcuts of this place, because I have to take detours to avoid them. This is my life. Running from everyone because they know I'm different, because I'm a freak. I hate going to school, I have no friends, my mom is never home, she never got me the dog I wanted either, which sucks. Basically, my life is crappy, I stopped thinking about starving kids and focused on not starving myself.

I considered, you know, suicide, but I decided I'm not letting some bastards take over my senses. I want to live, just not...like I am now. I know I'll get through this, I just have to learn to control my powers. No bully has ever seen me actually teleport since a couple of months ago. I moved schools after that and everyone knows me here as the 'glowing girl' or simply 'the freak'. Don't pity for me though, you really get used to it after a while. I react to those names even more than my own, Hazel. Yes, yes, it's all so very sad. My life is good as far as financially and food...ially. Whatever.

I'm currently walking down a narrow alley in the evening light. Doing a great job at avoiding all the jerks, if I do say so myself. I kick empty cans as I walk with my hands in my pocket, letting my mind wander to nothingness. I only realize that I was being followed when a rough hand on my shoulder turns me around. My eyes widen when they see Jack Robinson, the school jerkhead. He has his usual two lackeys behind him, plus a new girl who has a nostril piercing. Which I'm assuming is fake since she looks around my age, but who knows. He smirks at me looking me up and down. Subconciously, I cross my arms over my chest, looking up at him defiantly. 

"Hey Glow Girl." He snickers and so do his numpties.

"Hey, Jack." I raise an eyebrow, trying to hold my own. I nod to his cronies, "Numpties."

They scowl at me and Jack shoves me slightly, sending my small body stumbling. 

"You wanna repeat that, Anderson?"