The Cradle

I walk back into the house after a while, not trusting my knees to not buckle as I hold onto the walls for dear life. I'm really hoping that when I wake up I can walk again, because you know, walking, it comes in handy at times. When I reach the kitchen I stop in my tracks. There, sitting in his usual black trench coat and eyepatch, is none other then Nick Fury. As I enter, everyone looks at me, waiting for me to explode in anger. To be honest, I'm not in the mood to yell right now, because I physically can't without sounding like a walrus with asthma. I sigh and slump down in the seat, grumbling as I say more to myself than anyone else.

"Hooray, Patchy the Prick is back. Cause everyone loves him." Tony, Clint and Nat chuckle a bit as we turn back to Fury, listening to whatever serious stuff he's talking about now.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time." I roll my eyes, "My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

Steve talks next, "What about Ultron himself?"

"Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though." Fury leans back in his chair more and I scowl.

Tony looks at Fury, "He still going after launch codes?"

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway."

Tony chuckles, "I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare."

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the NEXUS about that."

Steve looks confused, "NEXUS?"

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo, every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth." Bruce says, I bury my head in my arms.

"So what'd they say?" Clint asks.

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed." Nicks voice fills my ears and I sigh.

"By whom?"

"Parties unknown."

Nat talks, "Do we have an ally?"

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"I might need to visit Oslo, find our 'unknown.'"

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." Natasha talks to Fury and I roll my eyes.

"I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." I chuckle into my arms as Steve turns to look at Nat.

"You know what, Romanoff?" Natasha smiles mischievously at him.

"So what does he want?" Fury interrupts.

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies." Steve gets back in serious mode and I put my head back on my arms.

Tony scratches his face, "Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." Nat crosses her arms.

"They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve." Bruce says.

"How?" I think hard and then it hits me. That machine, the one that healed Clint, that makes muscle tissue. Ultron can use that to create a body. That was the machine that Pietro had asked me about, the one I didn't know the answer to.