XVI

Mission: Accomplished
But I don't know where I'm going. Maybe I'll go to another country; I've always wanted to go to Daegu, South Korea. I remember mom saying we have distant relatives there.
Good enough for me.

I don't have enough money to buy an airplane ticket. Even if I did, I'm sure Sam would track me down before the flight even took off.
I guess I'll have to stow away on a boat or something.

I pull out my phone and look up boats coming from America to South Korea, or vice versa. I find a couple cruise ships and decide I'll just dress up as a worker; I look old enough right?
I head to where the website says the boat is docked and buy a room at a near by motel under the name: Darla Sherbert. I didn't have time to think of a name, don't judge me.
The boat is to leave tomorrow morning at noon, which gives me plenty of time to snag a new identity and "hack up" some won, Korean money.
Those years when I was little of studying foreign languages will finally pay off.
I put a knife I stole out of a diner under my pillow in case I have any visitors during the night.

Hello Daegu, Goodbye America.

I didn't get much sleep. Last time I actually went to sleep in a motel, I almost got kid napped again.
Since I couldn't sleep, I made a new plan: instead of being a worker, I found the boarding list and put my name, "Darla" in the listing under a big private suite.
Did you really think I was gonna get a raggedy old room. Hecks no. If I'm gonna fake being someone I'm gonna fake it hard.

I grab my couple of bags and head for the boat.

People were already lining up to get on; hundreds after hundreds of people. They had everyone lined up by what kind of suite they had; basically the rich in one line, the not so much in another. Remembering a had one of the biggest suites, I skipped to the richer line. Thank god I snatched up a new outfit before I left the mall. They would never believe I was a passenger if I was wearing my dirty, torn clothes.

I got to the front of the line and the lady letting people on questioned me on why I was by myself and who I was. I wanted to say 'Look lady, I don't have time for this; I have a ticket that I definitely didn't print off the internet. Mind your own business.' But I just went along with her questioning and she let me aboard.
As I was walking up the big steps, I heard what sounded like pop music in the distance behind me; Taylor Swift to be exact. I chill went down my back. I started walking faster.

"Zy! I know you're here! Don't make me look for you!" An angry Sam yelled, startling me and the crowd.

Crap. CRAP CRAP CRAP. GOTTA BLAST.
I dashed with all my strength up the stairs and down a corridor with basic suites on it.
I could hear Sam muffled outside but I never saw him so security definitely stopped him. I ran to my suite and locked myself in. I sat against the door with my eyes closed; I need to get rid of my phone right now.
I quickly order a new phone and computer to be delivered to a UPS store in Korea by the time I got there, so I could just go pick it up. I wrote down all my contacts, sent all the information I had saved to my email, and chucked my phone into the water.

About an hour later; the boat started up.
I looked around room; it was big and open with all kinds of fruits and deserts laying out on a big table. Nice choice Zy.

A worker came and knocked on my door.

"Hello, Ms.Darla. My name is Tobbie, I will be helping you along this trip. If you need anything, there's a buzzer on that wall over there. Don't hesitate to call me. Have a nice day." He smiled through his automatic speech as he pointed to a voice box on the wall.
I was going to send him on his way but I wanted to make sure Sam didn't get on.

"Thank you, I have one question. What happened to that guy who was yelling before the cruise took off?"
I prayed with all my heart God is on my side right now.

"Oh, the security put him in a patrol car and drove him to the station. They didn't come back so I guess it was somewhat serious. Don't worry about him, you won't see him again. Next stop, South Korea!" He chuckled a bit then did one of those awkward bows. I told him he didn't have to do that then sent him on his way.
I have a feeling he'll be really useful. He was only like two years older than me; I guess being a worker would have worked out. And he was kind of cute. I wouldn't mind ringing that buzzer.

Looking around my suite, there was wardrobe full of cruise looking shirts and dresses that you see in the movies; they were all about my size. It would have been agitating if I didn't already know the only clothes I have are the ones I'm wearing right now. It'll have to do.

I took a shower, put on a red floral dress, and stuck one of the little flowers from the bouquet on the table in my hair after pulling it up. I actually look somewhat decent.

After feeling comfortable enough to socialize with people, I went to the main part of the cruise ship, a big pool area with a bar and buffet.
Sitting at the bar I got questioning looks from older people but knowing better I just got a fruit smoothie and sat on a chair by the pool.
I could get used to this, I thought, putting on some complementary sunglasses off a side table.

I laid under an umbrella looking at the people around me; moms pulling little kids around, Guys getting drunk at 1pm, old people playing cards and whatever that game with the hockey puck and the long stick with the slidy thingy is called.

I saw Tobbie sitting on a stool waiting for someone to call him over when they needed him. We made eye contact and he waved, then came and sat by me on a chair.

"So what brings you a cruise all by yourself?" I don't know why he was so smiley, but it was rubbing off on me.

"I'm moving in with some relatives in Korea. How come you work on a cruise at such a young age?"

"I have to pay off school somehow. And I'm not that young; I'm 16 going on 17 in a couple months."

"I'm 14 going on 15 in more than half a year." That made him laugh even though it wasn't funny but whatever floats his boat I guess.

We talked a little more about family and what he was studying at school. Then an old guy needed help putting on sunscreen so I wished him luck and he left. At least I had someone to talk to.

The rest of the day went by pretty fast. Every once in a while I'd get a call from Sam on the ships phone, but I told them to block the number.
You're making it hard for me to forget you Sam; this is for your own safety, back off.

—————————————————————————
I'm contemplating whether or not I'm going to finish this book.....