Chapter 5- Combat Class

Bailee didn't really want to go to Combat class. One reason is the obvious one. The other reason is that Eve was still missing, and Bailee was getting more worried by the minute. She asked anybody if they knew where she went, nobody knew anything.

"And the fact that Matt's not worried at all shows that he knows," Bailee pointed out.

Raven rolled her eyes for the millionth time in her life, "Bailee please. I'm sure Eve will come back."

"She's a strong girl, but Raven I am kind of worried about her." Amber fidgeted with her hair. Raven grabbed her hand.

"Well stop. Let's give her another day, then you guys can go over board."

Bailee bit her lip, "Fine, but if she's not slapping Matt by tomorrow night, I'm going after her myself."

"Uh huh, we'll see you. Amber and I need to get going. We have hunting basics two together so," Raven started walking, dragging Amber behind her.

Bailee waved, "Bye." She started walking to her class. Mara stood at the front door wearing the hunting uniform.

"Good morning Bailee. Where's your partner? Oh wait never mind."

Bailee gritted her teeth. "Yeah I need another partner."

Mara smirked, "You're looking at her."

Bailee's eyes widened. Mara held her smirk. She opened the door for Bailee who walked in as fast as she could. She took any available seat in the center. Many teens like Bailee stood around looking for friends or talked with their partner. Her brown eyes wondered the room for something to focus on. She spotted a picture on Mara's desk. It wasn't framed like the other ones. It was bent and curved. Mara also had it hanging on to her wall with a simple tack. Bailee squinted to make out the faces. She saw a lady most likely Mara holding two.... babies.

The bell rang, and Mara slammed the door closed. Bailee bolted up right in her seat. Mara smirked to the class, "Welcome. I am your new combat teacher. Let's begin today's lesson."

She opened the door, signalling them to walk out. As they did, the hall way walls expanded into a large arena covered in the school colors, orange and white. There seemed to be a perpetual row of seats like there were constant battles going on in the school. The high tech score board helped prove that theory.

The line of kids stopped, and Mara turned to them. "Today I will grade you on how well you can handle one on one battles. This will help me see who's been working and who's been cheating off their partner. Since there's an odd number," everyone turned to glance at Bailee, "One of you will be going against me." Bailee saw the smirk on Mara's face. Bailee was the only person without a partner, so of course she'd have to go against her teacher.

She numbered everyone off. Finally she got to Bailee, "And you can be with me. I hope this isn't a problem for you Woods."

"It's Bailee."

"Sorry, it's a habit."

Eve stood outside the classroom door. She could hear the teacher starting class, which would make her entrance more dramatic once she walks in. Still, she couldn't help but feel the panic rise in her stomach. There she stood, back to the beginning in a school. She took a deep breath of the cold air and turned the copper handle.

She stepped in the English class. Everyone looked over their copy of Edger Allson Poem's collection. The teacher tapped her desk, "You must be Eve. Please sit down, pick up a copy, and read pages um- Max what pages are we reading?"

The blondie didn't look up from his book, "ten to fifty."

"Thank you..." Eve shuffled to the bookcase and got a copy. She turned back to the crowd of kids eyeballing her. Eve tugged some hair in her face and slumped down into an empty desk. After a few minutes of reading bird poems, Eve decided to look around the room.

That can't be Max! What is he doing here?  

"So Eve where are you from?" A random kid asked.

"She looks American."

"How do you even know what they look like."

"I've seen plenty of memes to know what an American looks like."

Eve wanted to curl in a ball and die. "I am American I think."

"You think?"

"So what brought you to Canada?"

"She's a refuge obviously."

"The terrorist attack wasn't that bad. They went in a straight line."

"Shut up, maybe her parents died."

Eve twitched at the word 'parents'. Died? They can't be dead.

"Tais- toi!" The teacher glared at Eve.

Finally the class ended. Eve went to her next class, which was gym apparently. The map was confusing. Half the buildings were flipped and the class numbers were wrong. She had to stop to ask for help. Eve reached out for the first person she saw.

Eve pulled out her schedule, "Excuse me, do you know where Mr.-"

"Its you!"

Eve looked up from her schedule. It was tall guy. How is tall guy the same age as me!

"Sorry I don't speak French. Bye," Eve blurted and tried to escape.

"Oh no, you aren't going anywhere. I have questions."

"Yeah well I don't have answers," Eve sassed.

"So you're just gonna pretend I don't exist?"

Eve shrugged, "Pretty much."

He frowned, "I could shout right now."

"What?"

"I could call for help right now, get you exposed, and whatever you said about government."

Eve sighed, "Yeah I'm not supposed to get humans involved. I am a human though, so I guess it doesn't matter."

"So you'll tell me?" He smiled

"Can you tell me your name first. I don't think the readers like Tall Guy or is it boy? I can't remember."

He bowed and took Eve's hand, "Sir Aaron the third, at your service," he laid a small peck on Eve's hand.

Eve yanked her hand back. Aaron smirked, "Too touchy?"

"Ah no, well yeah. You just...." Matt's  face flashed in her mind, "reminded me of someone."

"Now how about some answers?"