[ 07 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 7

❝ Being so vulnerable and allowing someone else in so far they could hurt you ❞

•••••••

"What do you mean he just stormed off?"

Lola and Carmen sat on the couch, watching their mother pace in front of them, worry lines marring her beautiful face. They had returned from the beach not that long ago and told their mother everything that had happened in the short time they were there.

"He got really angry out of nowhere and just stormed off into the woods," Lola repeated monotonously. She was still in shock of what had happened.

Carmen, noticing her sister's indisposed attitude, stood up and stopped her mother's incessant pacing. She grabbed her mother's hands in her own and sat her down where she previously sat, next to Lola.

"We need to find him," Carmen told the two women before her. "Before something bad happens to him."

That statement pulled the two Wilde women out of their stupor They nodded and went and grabbed flashlights before journeying into the woods. They ventured deep into the woods, desperately trying to find the only male of the family.

"Jesus!" they called, out of sync.

They came at a stop in a clearing and flashed their flashlights all over the place. Alejandra had flashed her light at a familiar face in front of her that made her scream and throw the flashlight at.

"Ow," the person muttered.

"Paul?" Lola asked. When he came into the light, she was confused. What was he doing out in the woods at night?

"You guys shouldn't be out here," he told them, a serious edge to his tone.

"Mijo," Alejandra started, composing herself after her fright, "you shouldn't be out here either. We have reason to be here, do you?"

"Jesus is fine ma'am," Paul told her, gently steering them back where they came from. "Sam found him. Says he's not ready to come back home."

"You know where he is?" Lola asked.

"Is he okay?" Carmen asked next.

"Take us to him," Alejandra demanded. When Paul looked hesitant, she took a step forward, her face set. "That wasn't a question."

"Alex."

The Wilde women turned to see Harry Clearwater making his way to her.

"Harry," Alejandra sighed. "Where's my son?"

"Alex—"

"NO!" Alejandra screamed. Tears were falling from her eyes. "I want to know where my son is Harry! If you won't help me, I'm calling the police."

Paul's eyes widened as he heard Alejandra threaten to call the police. He made to take a step towards her and grabbed onto her arm forcefully. "You can't," he growled.

Harry raised a hand in warning as Alejandra struggled against Paul's strong hold, the need to protect the tribe's secret so they could protect the tribe kicking in. Lola was astounded at Paul's behavior, but managed to compose herself enough to slap him, making him loosen his hold on her mother.

He looked at his imprint in shock and that gave Carmen enough time to scream as she swung at the back of Paul's head with a thick branch.

"Leave my mother alone!" she screamed after the boy dropped.