[ 17 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 17

❝ I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth' ❞

•••••••

The sun had finally broken through the thick clouds that always surrounded La Push. It was a miracle that Lola and Eden were taking full advantage of.

"Got the food and drinks?" Lola asked Eden.

"Yep," Eden confirmed, holding up the small cooler. "Blanket?"

"Right here," Lola huffed as she lifted the quilt. "That's everything right?"

"Yeah," Eden nodded as she led the way outside of the house and to the car. "I'm not wasting any more precious time. We don't know how long the sun is staying."

Lola laughed in agreement as they finished packing the rest of their belongings into the trunk of Lola's car.

"Thanks for the help sweetheart," Eden sarcastically remarked to Carmen, who had been sitting in the backseat the entire time, waiting for Lola and Eden to finish packing.

Carmen merely smirked and continued playing on her Gameboy.

"Alright," Lola sighed, pulling out of the driveway and into the road. "The boys will meet us at the designated spot on the beach and the adults will join us later for the usual bonfire."

"You'll finally get to hear the tribe legends," Carmen told Eden. "They're totally spooky."

Eden smiled in amusement at Lola. They spent the rest of the short ride to the beach singing off key to the songs on the radio, though Carmen preferred to air-guitar and air-drum rather than sing.

"Your moves have gotten better, kid," Eden complimented Carmen as Lola parked the car. "You'll have to teach me."

"Brilliance can't be taught," Carmen deadpanned before she hopped out of the car.

"Did she just," Eden cut herself off.

"Yep," Lola chuckled.

"What a little bitch," Eden huffed.

Lola only laughed before throwing the quilt at Eden and grabbing the cooler. Lola led the way to where Carmen stood, silently telling the two older girls that right where she stood was where they were going to set up.

"One day, I'm not going to be here and you're going to have to pick the slack," Lola huffed as she reached Carmen.

"Lucky for me, that day is not today," Carmen smiled.

Eden threw back her head in a laugh. She fell to her knees and then onto her stomach on the quilt she had spread out. She made herself comfortable on one side before propping her head with her hand and gesturing for Lola to take a seat next to her, which she did.

"The boys are here!" Carmen called to then as she ran towards Jared, who let go of his girlfriend Kim in order to catch the young girl charging at him.

Paul made his way over to the two friends, throwing himself down next to Lola and leaning up to kiss her lovingly.

"Hey!" Sam called out to them, soccer ball in hand, as Emily approached the girls to set up her blanket and picnic basket. "You guys down for a soccer game?"

Lola and Eden shared a smirk before nodding at Sam.

•••••••

After a couple rounds of soccer, both of which Lola and Eden's team won, and a nice picnic where everyone, even Jacob, enjoyed themselves and joked around, the boys got started on the bonfire while the girls cleaned up the picnic.