[ 13 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 13

❝ It wasn't that long, and it certainly wasn't the kind of kiss you see in movies these days, but it was wonderful in its own way, and all I can remember about the moment is that when our lips touched, I knew the memory would last forever. ❞

•••••••

Paul was freaking out.

He hadn't heard from or seen Lola since he took her home two days ago. He was scared because he didn't what was going on and he was scared about her talking about surgery because he knew there was always a risk of something going wrong.

So come Monday morning, he was so anxious to see her that he got to school an hour before it started and had to wait forty-five minutes before Lola's dirty Camaro pulled up into the parking lot.

He was surprised when Carmen left without so much as a hug goodbye to her sister. She usually hugged and kissed Lola goodbye before leaving her side to go join Brady Fuller. This morning, however, she just smiled at Lola and left.

Though her makeup hid it well, Paul had admired her features and appearance enough to distinguish the exhausted look in her dull eyes, dark lipstick, and comfortable clothing. Immediately, his anxiety skyrocketed and he rushed to her side.

"Are you alright?" he demanded.

Lola was so caught off guard that she jumped.

She took a deep breath and held a hand over her racing heart. She gave Paul an incredulous look, though he looked pretty sorry.

"I'm fine," she responded. "Why?"

Paul hesitated. On the one hand, he desperately wanted to know, but on the other, he didn't want to push her to tell him. He was really regretting not being in at least one relationship so he knew what to do in a situation like this. So instead, he tried to smile as nonchalantly as possible and just dismissed it as the imprint bond. He decided to ask her about the whole kidney thing after school.

Lola wasn't sure whether he was telling the truth. Something told her it wasn't a light topic, so she settled for asking him about it after school.

They entered school together, asking each other questions in an effort to get to know each other better. It was something they had taken to doing since they first really bonded at the rock. Slowly but surely, they had learned a lot of random and important facts about the other.

"Where's Embry?"

Lola and Paul's laughter came to a stop when Jacob Black stopped in front of him, demanding to know where his friend was. Quil Ateara was standing nervously behind him.

"Good morning to you too, Jacob," Lola smiled dryly. Ever since the whole thing with Billy and her mom went down, she had kept her distance from Jacob.

"Where's Embry?" the boy repeated again.

Paul saw the angry look in Jacob's eyes and subconsciously took a step in front of Lola, but that only seemed to anger the boy.

Lola saw this and tried to defuse the tension. She pulled Paul back, and said, "At home resting. His mom says he has mono and can't have any visitors. That's all I know."

"You better not be lying," Jacob threatened.

Lola was itching to egg him on, but she could tell Paul was on edge by the entire confrontation, so she just rolled her eyes, grabbed Paul's hand, and walked away from the angry boy.

Paul felt a surge of warmth shoot up his arm when she grabbed his hand, and a stupid grin formed o his lips when she didn't let go. He didn't think Lola realized she hadn't let go of his hand, but he wasn't about to mention it to her.