[ 18 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 18

•••••••

Eden couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned, but she just couldn't keep her eyes closed longer than thirty seconds to fall back asleep. It was the same thing that happened every night back when she lived with her foster parents back in California. She would fall asleep, only to wake up not be able to sleep, or, in some cases, she would take naps that she counted as her night's sleep.

She had been awake for a few hours, waiting for the light to break through the impossibly thick clouds. When the light finally shone through, Eden put on some sweats, a hoodie, and her sneakers before grabbing her wallet.

She quietly left the house and jogged into the forest, a place she had been dying to explore since she had arrived. She ventured until she felt it was far enough away from civilization, but not far enough away to be considered as dangerous, and took a seat at the base of a trunk.

Eden took a moment to catch her breath. Once she had, she took out the blunt she had stored in her hoodie's pocket and lit it. She had been dying for a moment to smoke since she woke up. It usually relaxed her.

It didn't take her long to reach a high, and she just enjoyed it. She didn't know how long she sat under the tree, but before she knew it, she was waking up to the sound of trees breaking. One glance at her phone had her scrambling up.

"Shit," she cursed, slipping on the mossy ground as she tried to find her way back to the house. She had been gone four over four hours, and the guilt was quickly settling in. She had only moved in with Lola and her family for a little over a week and already she disappeared on them.

She had made her way into a clearing but she had only just registered it before a ball of fur tumbled past her, knocking her down on her butt.

She groaned as she stood up, but once she did, she came face to face with three enormous and different colored wolves.

She took a deep breath in before promptly screaming her lungs out. Then, her eyes rolled onto the back of her head and she passed out.

•••••••

Lola was freaking out.

She had woken up only to find Eden missing. She didn't know where the red-headed girl had gone seeing as she hadn't left a note. Lola was scared that Eden went and did something reckless in a town she was barely acquainted with.

When it became apparent that Eden was nowhere in the house or at the beach, Lola called Paul.

"I was literally just about to call you," Paul said as soon as he answered, talking at the same time as Lola who said, "Eden's missing!"

"What?" Lola asked once his words registered in her brain. "What happened?!"

"Eden's here at Sam and Emily's," Paul started, but Lola interrupted.