[ 20 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 20

❝ the epilogue ❞

•••••••

"So, what? I'm just supposed to drop everything and serve them?"

Lola gave Eden a sympathetic look, resisting the urge to take the beer bottle she was chugging back out of her hands.

"It seems that's what your ancestors did," Lola responded. "But whatever your choice is, I will support you. No matter what."

Eden peeled away at the sticker on the bottle with her thumb, contemplating what she was going to do with her life now she had this information. But before she could really think about it, the pack came out of the woods, minus Jacob. Ever since that redheaded vampire attacked her, they had been on patrol nonstop it seemed.

While the other boys greeted her like she was already part of the family, she paid attention to Paul and Lola.

While she would never say it out loud, she envied her best friend. She wanted what she and Paul had. Hell, she had tried and tried with several people but none seemed to love her the way she wanted to. She always seemed to pick the wrong ones.

With an aching heart, she watched as Paul picked a flower from the base of a tree and tucked it behind one of Lola's ears, making the girl smile so big her eyes sparkled.

"You'll have it one day. Don't worry."

Eden jumped and turned to see one of the wolves headed her way. She smiled at him, standing up as she did so.

"Embry, right?" she made sure.

The boy, Embry, nodded. He opened his mouth to talk some more to her but Lola and Paul approached them.

"Hey," Lola smiled. "What are you guys talking about?"

Before Eden could scramble for a decent lie that her best friend would accept, Embry spoke up.

"About how Jake is still hung up over Bella and it's going to come back and bite us in the ass," he chuckled.

At the mention of the pale girl, Lola scowled.

"You know, I'd like to blame it all on her, but Jacob is just as much to blame, if not more," she sighed.

"As long as it doesn't kill us," Eden shrugged.

The four of them shared a laugh that was cut short by Emily shouting for them to come inside and join the rest of the boys in eating the lunch she prepared.

Little did they know, Jacob's infatuation with Bella might just be the death of at least one of them.