[ 08 ]

BOOK 1, Chapter 8

❝ Heartbreak at its finest. ❞

•••••••

"We're soulmates, Lola."

Lola was shocked silent for a solid minute, before she burst out laughing.

"I'm sorry," Lola apologized amidst her giggles. "What? That's the worst pickup line I have ever heard. Tell me, has that line actually gotten you into some poor girl's pants?"

Paul was taken aback. Not only was he deeply hurt, he was embarrassed. His past affairs were being thrown in his face and though he didn't want to admit to it, he felt dirty and ashamed. He hated how Lola saw him as nothing more than a sex-crazed whore.

And when Lola saw that Paul wasn't trying to get into her pants and was actually telling her the truth, putting him in a very vulnerable place, she stopped laughing. Guilt overcame her, but the damage had been done.

"That wasn't a come on, was it?" Lola whispered.

Paul clenched his jaw, and shook his head as he looked anywhere but at his imprint. He knew it was going to be hard, but he didn't want to be anywhere near her if she was going to keep throwing his decisions in his face. He didn't want an imprint who would judge him and laugh in his face when he showed vulnerability. He deserved better.

"Oh, fuck me," Lola muttered under her breath, hands shaking. "I am so sorry, and I know that doesn't excuse what I did and said, but that's all I really can say. Paul I am so sorry. I didn't mean it."

"But you believed it," Paul muttered, voice even deeper than usual. "You believed what everyone else had to say about me in regards to my sexual escapades. You wouldn't believe what people had to say about me being in a cult, but me being a player who only wants sex from girls? That you believe? And then you laugh in my face when I tell you something that means a lot to me?"

Lola was panicking. She didn't know what to say. But her mouth seemed to. "I have a girlfriend," she blurted. "Sorry."

As soon as she said sorry, she turned on her heel and ran like a hound out of hell, away from Paul.

•••••••

The air between the three siblings was tense. No music, no laughter, no screams. None of the usual noise that normally ensues when the Wilde siblings get together could be heard.

"You laughed in his face," Jesus stated, staring blankly at the ceiling. He was laying down on her bed.

"Yeah," Lola muttered in a shaky voice. She was sprawled out on the floor between her bed and her hammock chair.

"And then you ran away," Carmen continued. The youngest of the three was curled up on the hammock chair.

"Mhm," the older sister once again confirmed.

"You need to make it up to him," Carmen told her sister.

"What?" Lola questioned as she sat up from the floor to look at her sister, brows furrowed, lip caught between her teeth.

"She's right," Jesus chimed in, rolling off the bed only to lean against the bed with his legs spread outing front of him.

"What am I supposed to do?" Lola asked. "Huh? I was a straight up hypocrite to his face. I basically called him a whore. I laughed in his face when he showed me his vulnerable side. I disrespected him to his face and ran like a coward."